Eglu

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eglu

We are intending on getting some Chickens in the New Year now that the garden is ready for them, the Eglu website offers the run, coops and even chickens for about £350. Does anyone else have an Eglu and are they any good? Would this be the best way of getting into keeping chickens? How many chickens? The website states that the basic Eglu is big enough for 4 normal size Chickens.

there are a dozen or so old threads on the Eglu, if you want to have a go with your search button.
    here's one to get you started: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...glu_22306.html
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The basic Eglu run is too small to keep 3 or 4 chickens in all the time. It's marketed as such but like a lot of integral henhouse/run designs, is way too small as a permanent run. A friend of mine has the Eglu cube, but she only keeps 3 chickens in it, and even then lets them out of that to free range as the run is very small.

There is nothing wrong with the Eglu as a design, but for your chicken's sanity you will need to let them out to free range as often as possible.

Comment

get a proper coop or convert a shed, cause once you get some chooks you'll want more then your eglu becomes an expensive isolation unit
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Take a look here Omlet UK • Index page

I wouldn't use an Eglu run ... but might well use an Eglu within a much bigger run. The Cube has much more space ...

But if you do decide on an Eglu, the new Eglu 'Go' is less expensive than the Classic.
          The Hen House

Comment

Can only speak from personal exp, but was given one, and gave it away! Did not like it at all! Run too small, too awkward to move around with run on, too restrictive on the number of girls, does not clean like the promotional videos (although in fairness it cleans easily - but no easier than my home-made one which has click-clack flooring in) Far too expensive too. If you want further details, PM me and can happily discuss.
            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Well, I love mine! However, I do have it within an electric fence enclosure, so the girls have plenty of space to roam about - they only stay inside the eglu run in emergencies (flat battery etc). I have two girls at the moment due to the demise of two over the past couple of months, but I intend to get two more soon - there's ample roosting room for four inside. Very easy to clean too.

The main reason I bought an Eglu was that the children badgered us to get chickens, and I thought that if it was a passing fad the re-sale value of the Eglu would be good - however, I was foolishly deluded there in that I have have realised that no matter how little interest the children eventually show in the hens, I will still want to have some !

Oh, the other thing that appealed to me is that the plastic will stand up to the salt laden wind and rain that we seem to have so often, better than wood, and no painting etc., required.

Good luck with whatever you choose
              Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

We have someone with one of the bigger ones on the allotment. I have to say there are some advatanges and yes the resale of it would be good.

I purchased an ark, due to cost, but not having to repaint and easily washed down is a plus. But unless you have a small number of chickens the bigger one doesnt have the run size, even though it says is adequate

I have a 8by8 foot run for 4 chickens plus the coop and even at that they are getting on each others nerves.

By all means get one but expect to want a bigger run for them

Comment

I have had my eglu 4 weeks now with 2 chickens as a package and we bought a 6 x 4 pet run and joined it on the the eglu run - seems fine but I know in the spring I will want a proper big space built with easy access to it as the low height is a bit awkward when the grass is wet. Mine seem very happy = I let them free range for a bit when I come home from work which is sometimes only for an hr at this time of year. At just over 20 weeks (approx?) they have both started laying and I have had 9 eggs since last Thursday - I luv 'em!!
                  Pauline

Comment

the concept of the eglu is good. No mite habits etc. but the general concensus is that you need to provide the hens with more space than the run has. The hens Omlet provide are hybrid layers. Not sure on prices but around here you can get ex-batts for a £1 a pop and they will go on laying for years.

£350 will get you a good sized shed which you could convert with a couple of perches and a pop hole, and build a run off the side. The chickens will have more space and it will be easier for you to work in as well, however, if space is a defining factor in your choice of house and run, the eglu is a starting point. But probably one that you will grow out of within a short time.

if you want me to sketch up a basic shed conversion for you to look at, let me know. I have posted up a few house designs before on here somewhere as a starter. If you are handy with a hammer and saw, these might be more cost effective. If you arent handy with tools, then it may be best to buy a ready built one!
                    My Blog
                    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I did think about building something myself just the Mrs said the Eglu looked good and it comes with all the bits needed to first startup. That said though if I will end having to make or buy a bigger unit I may as well just do that from the start as they do seem a little pricey at £350

Oh and space wise for the run and coop, we have a very large area for them to play and run about in.
                      Last edited by Hinksy; 19-11-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Somebody I know has one and loves it but uses it with a large extra run and the chooks are free ranged quite a bit during the day also. They love it as they find it very easy to clean. Personally I don't keep chooks so obviously don't have one and can't comment on the practicalities of use. However I think they look rather toy town (not that the chooks will care!) as if they are made by Fisher Price and that wooden arks etc look far more attractive and in keeping with the average garden. I know you're not planning on doing so, but I'd be very wary about putting one on an allotment for fear of theft as they do stand out rather a lot in their bright colours.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Chooks don't really need a great big house 'cos they squash up to each other at night on their perch/es, but they should be able to move a bit if, for instance, there is a bit of bullying going on.

What they do require is a decent size run. If you have lots of space then a 6' x 4' shed converted with some nest boxes and perches and a pop hole and a 6' high run as long and as wide as you can accomodate with weldmesh netting is the way to go.
                          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Well they will be out most of the day when we are about, we are just a little worried of foxes, not that we have many in the garden nowadays since clearing it up and securing it with fencing. However I am told they are attracted by the eggs so we want something that will be secure, still thinking of going with the Eglu as it seems a good way to start, but making a bigger run around the whole thing so when we are at work they will have more space.

Comment

Have you considered electric fencing to contain chooks (as long as you haven't got high jumper/flyers) and deter foxes?
                              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X