Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aggie broken toes splayed leg update....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggie broken toes splayed leg update....

She's the Cream Legbar that was attacked by Atilla the Maran when they were about 10 weeks old. I think they are about 28 weeks now.

Remember we originally tried physio and manipulation and I came up with a boot idea well....

The first boot was a bit of a disaster - foot shaped three toes wide but proved too cumbersome.

After a couple of weeks gave up on the first boot and made a pipecleaner splint with electrical tape and attached to her leg and middle toe to straighten the joint in the correct direction instead of knarled under.

She's been like that now for weeks - haven't a clue how many - with Christie keeping her company. The toes to either side originally curled under but somehow have straightened to proper positions since.

So, I said to Chocolate Brownie we'd take the boot off this weekend. CB panicking wanted to leave it on another few weeks. BUT, today the top half of the boot dislodged so I decided to cut it off. And.....

It's worked

She's walking on the foot with the joint correct and middle toe pointing the right way, although she is still goose stepping like Ministry of Funny Walks. It's very weak, but it's the right way up WOW....

I had her down as a dead loss a few months back and thinking of 'doing the right thing by her'

I am oh so chuffed...
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

and so you should be Hayley. When anything is dependant on us for it's wellbeing it is up to us to make it better. You did just that girl. You are real carer.

Comment

Oh well done Hayley!!! I think you deserve an ology for that well a bar of chocolate anyway
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Thank you both, would that be a chookology then Aunty Mo
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

yes, chookology or makeitbetterology
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

that must be some wowzer device you made. I've done chics before but would'nt have dreamt of trying on a 10wk old. Good for you I think (scratching my head) that riboflavin and vit B2 are meant to be ace for devp bones and I know of some people that have supp diets (esp during breeding periods in the hope that this is passed onto the chicks) but I can't remember what with. Anyone else any ideas? Is it sardines?

Comment

That's brill Hayley! I was wondering how she was only the other day!

Comment

Congrats Doc! Well done you
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Well done you Hayley. You are officially an orthopaedic chookology surgeon. Great lateral thinking.
                  Last edited by Eco-Chic; 20-11-2009, 06:41 PM. Reason: correcting typo
                  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Good on you Hayley. Aggie can join me in silly walks as I wear a boot and splint! Glad she doesn't have to wear hers any more.

Comment

Thanks all, she's a bit sore this morning but foot still pointing right way , I think it will be a while before she and Christie can join the main flock though as it really does need to strengthen and the leg itself is noticeably thinner.
                      Hayley B

Comment

thats brilliant news thanks Hayley. Bet you and CB are over the moon!
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Well Done Hayley!
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Yep CB is over the moon too (and with her secret santa)although she has manflu at the moment (no temperature but sore throat) so is lolling away in bed moaning and groaning
                            Hayley B

Comment

Hayley thats great to hear, funny I was reading back looking for summat yesterday, and thought 'wonder what happened to that chook' now I know
                              From horsey experience if shes getting too sore restrict her running around space a bit more for a week or so, otherwise she might strain something else.
                              Take a bow, and a gold star
                              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X