quickie question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quickie question

hi all, if my chicks are not laying at the mo-do I still need to feed limestone flour and do they eat less?

It depends why they're not laying.
    If they're off lay because they're moulting, then they need as much food as ever and possibly some supplements because growing new feathers requires a lot of energy.

I thought limestone flour was given as a supplement when the chooks are low on calcium and laying thin shell or shell-less eggs.

I let my chooks have ad lib access to as much layers pellets as they want. They get additional veg, fruit and mixed corn late in the day as treats.
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I'd say no to the limestone flour but still give the codliver oil to maximise their calcium intake in their layers pellets.
      Mine seem to be eating as much if not more but I do have 4 new ex-batts who eat like there's no tomorrow!

Comment

Mine are eating more too Sue.
        I expect there are less insects to be grubbed up and the snails have probably drowned.

Comment

this time of year, chooks will eat more to keep warm. more energy is put into keeping warm than laying eggs. layers pellets have all that is needed to produce eggs and contain all the calcium the birds need, however, limestone flour is handy when birds lay thin shelled eggs or rubbery ones.

you can help the birds no end by making sure they dont get cold. this may entail wrapping some fleece or brushwood screening around the runs to make sure that the wind is cut down. round here we need steel sheets to cut down the wind as there is nothing to stop the wind here for 400 acres from the neighbouring farm so we just get sandblasted every day!
          My Blog
          http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I have three flocks of various ages. I've noticed that the 'elder' flock who are in full molt are putting themselves to bed earlier than the others.
            When opening the door to their roosting area its surprising the body heat they generate which is quite noticeable within the coop!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

mine seem to be eating less layers pellets but more veg etc-is this normal? They look in incredible good health-tail up, red crop,bright eyes, normal poo etc. I'm giving them poultry spice and they are definitely in moult(although they are still laying sporadically ) Should i do anything else?

Comment

Count your blessings and hope it continues

Mine are in my garden Raine and I think it is so mild and sheltered they're having a fine old time all the while they're able to shelter from the rain (cos I haven't cut back and tidied up while it's serving the chooks well).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X