No announcement yet.

Blocked crop again, Poor Omlet

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'd not let them have more than a dozen or so each at a time, given the chance they'd polish off the lot in one go They're very fattening too (or so I've heard)
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I gave what might have been a handful if I'd touched them. That would have been between about 6 but Pip ( with the funny crop) had more and more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
        I gave what might have been a handful if I'd touched them. That would have been between about 6 but Pip ( with the funny crop) had more and more often.
        I must be weird as I dont mind the feeling of picking up maggots, however, the chucks didnt like them at all, when I held one out, they took one look and moved away

I waved it at them and they raised their heads as though to say, its that mad women again, whats she got this time and went back to the mud

So I opened the pot and it was like christmas to them, heads in and all coming ot with a beak full

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
          I must be weird as I dont mind the feeling of picking up maggots, however, the chucks didnt like them at all, when I held one out, they took one look and moved away

I waved it at them and they raised their heads as though to say, its that mad women again, whats she got this time and went back to the mud

So I opened the pot and it was like christmas to them, heads in and all coming ot with a beak full
          I never got to feeling them! It was the sight of them heaving around in the box that turned my stomach! If you've got a fishing tackle shop near you they only cost about £1 for a "pint"! Imagine how they'd get on with that many!
          Last edited by Suechooks; 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I did wonder, what the result of eating maggots would have on their eggs

One of my friends, says she doesnt want to eat their eggs until after they ave exhausted the maggots???

What are peoples views on this

Comment

Ignore the thought- our chooks eat whatever is in the field- any grub whether it flies or crawls or slimes...a maggot is no different- it'll be dead and digested by the time it comes out of the other end!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Ignore the thought- our chooks eat whatever is in the field- any grub whether it flies or crawls or slimes...a maggot is no different- it'll be dead and digested by the time it comes out of the other end!!
                Actually when you put it like that a maggot is no different from the slugs that they pick up, probably cleaner

Comment

Cockerels who look after their laydees properly often bring them worms to eat.

Chooks are little feathered dustbins on legs

Is there any improvement in Omlet?

ps I think I wouldn't talk too much about parasites, or the gruesome things that chooks eat to people who will eat their eggs (unless you don't want them to eat the eggs, of course)
                  Last edited by Eco-Chic; 14-12-2009, 04:44 PM. Reason: corrected typo
                  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    Yes meal worms are veggies but they are given so they can eat the clumps of vegetable matter blocking the crop. I would have thought maggots would eat more - they're fatter!
                    Yeah, it was the suggestion that mealworms might harm the chook, whereas maggots wouldn't. If there was any risk (which I doubt) it would be the other way about.
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

no improvement im afraid

but she isnt doing the neck action at the moment and she is still laying every 3-4 days which is a good sign

just a really squiggy crop

Comment

Sorry to report that Omlet was far worse this morning, so I took the decision to end her short life and make her more comfortable

Quite a sad occasion

Comment

Bug mahoosive hugs
                          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Big ((((((((((((((((huggles)))))))))))))))) from me too. You certainly gave her all the best care you could, she was a very lucky chook
                            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Sorry to hear that Tlck, my Betty died this morning, although she was as right as rain for the past few days x

Comment

Oh, Tick I'm really sorry to hear that. What a little fighter though. You've both tried so hard to overcome her difficulties. Please be happy knowing that you gave Omelet every chance going.

Mrs. C, I'm very sorry to hear about your Betty too. Must have been a very unwelcome shock when it appeared that she was over her illness.

If it is the smallest of consolations to both of you, I think your threads about Omelet and Betty will be the saving of chooks suffering impacted crops in the future. I feel my girls' crops every evening and I'm getting used to what size and squidginess/hardness feels appropriate for each girl.

Big, big hugs for your both♥
                                If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X