How good is Chicken eyesight?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is Chicken eyesight?

I know it isn't good at dusk and in the dark, but how good is it in daylight? They scratch away at stuff and seem to find edibles easily. Or are they using other senses like smell and sound too?
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
    I know it isn't good at dusk and in the dark, but how good is it in daylight? They scratch away at stuff and seem to find edibles easily. Or are they using other senses like smell and sound too?
    You beat me to it! I was going to ask the same question! I thought their eyesight was poor. The girls run/hutch etc is around 10ft (I think!) from my bedroom window. The girls always respond when I go to the bedroom window just to check on them. They start running round and coming to the front of their run. They must be able to see me from there.......
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

my back garden is about ... well pretty long and they always saw me at the window in the morning ... i miss em xx

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
        my back garden is about ... well pretty long and they always saw me at the window in the morning ... i miss em xx
        You are welcome anytime lynda.
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Mine seem to have an instinct about when I'm coming out to feed or give treats. I reckon they see me - and its about 50 ft from the door. When I throw down mixed corn in the run they seem to spot every bit.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As soon as I open the shed door, they know they're getting food....

There is a brain in their head somewhere - believe it or not!! :-)
            All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
            For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

My lads see the buzzards up in the sky well before they hear them.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Seems to me that chickens can see well enough. They get housed, fed, watered and protected from assailants. Neither do they have to resort dating agencies. B'gok b'kok

Comment

For most feathered creatures, eyesight is the most important 'sense' (only exceptions I know are some owls, which rely on hearing, and vultures, which can smell carrion from miles away).
                  The difference lies in what is a priority in their 'seeing'.
                  BTW, they DO see in colour!
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X