Sorting out who is Head Hen...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting out who is Head Hen...

The ladies are always up and about before me so I don't know who exits the coop first.

When I appear in response to beaks rattling up and down the weld mesh either all three wing barge the door or the two who aren't laying or burying an egg.

Myrtle and Maude mob me (either they love me or wanna see if I've brought along goodies) but Madge tries to sidle past in case I touch her (she'm a snob).

At dusk Madge is always first into the coop and up on the perch. The other two wait to show me the way with the goodies I'm carrying.

On the perch, Myrtle and Maude have started to squabble and Myrtle isn't above delivering a well aimed peck at Maude.

So, who's going to be head girl? Self contained, I am an island Madge? Voluble and pecking no-knickers Myrtle?
    Last edited by Eco-Chic; 07-12-2009, 10:58 PM.
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

The easy way to find out EC is to get MORE Chooks, then you'll see who's boss!

*runs off tittering before a slap can be aimed...
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Is it supposed to be the head hen out first???...I've never noticed!!
      I open the pigsty door and out they all fly/run!!!
      I know the youngest hang back , and one of the cockerels is out last..generally, but I never know about the first one out thingy...does that work for everyone???
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Way to go Glutton. Only in the furtherance of Chookology of course.

According to one of the myriad books and articles I read Nicos, Head Hen leads them out and leads them back in again (not sure if HH actually goes in first or checks them in). This probably happens in well ordered households though, which this is not.

I'm afraid that as Myrtle has dropped her drawers she also appears to have abandoned her manners

Comment

Maybe 'no knickers is sticking out for the perch with no cold updrafts
          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

You could be right Hilly, I've had to turf her out of the nest box two nights on the trot and pop her onto the perch. She's surprisingly hot underneath even without her frillies.

Best not tell her I've been looking on BHWT and Hen Rehome sites for taller balder sisters

Comment

Betty this morning was first out- she's one of the 2 oldest gals...so there may well be something in what 'they' say....I'll see tomorrow!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X