My turn to ask for advice!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn to ask for advice!

I've got a sick chick (well nearly pullet, she's 13 weeks). No symptoms that I can describe easily. No breathing difficulties, no snotty nose, no diarrhoea, no swollen or spongy crop (her crop feels empty anyway), bum clean, no obvious injuries, limbs all feel ok, she can stand and walk ok, she's nowhere near POL (felt her pelvic bones and they're only 1 finger apart and not developed a decent comb yet), was wormed a few weeks ago when she was with Precious, no lice or mites to see on her. She's just "down" doesn't want to eat or drink, I found her in one of the nest boxes and thought she was dead! I've brought her indoors away from the others and she's asleep in the washing basket. I don't feel confident enough to force feed her using a syringe or tube, so what else can I try?
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Oh dear, sorry Aunty Mo sounds like you are doing all you can, I hope Bramble or Richmond have some ideas good luck....
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Fingers crossed for you. I take it you've tried the usual (mash/porridge/corn) or other favourites? I had this happen with one of the Marans I bought for my Parents. She had been laying for a couple of months, but suddenly stopped eating and just got weaker.

They are a worry sometimes. I hope she picks up.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

One of mine wasn't eating last week. Warmth in the kitchen and a few mealworms tempted her. Gradually she ate a bit more, then went on to the mixed corn. Breaking the cycle is the hard bit. I know you use garlic which is a good thing for digestive problems. I'll read this thread with interest and hope someone can come up with something. I think Jenny (Bramble-Poultry) has a recipe for 'Gloop' on one of the stickies which she recommends for poorly birds. Might be worth a try.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Put her in the cat basket and head off to Jenny!
          Only thing you can do is keep her warm and try and get some water down her.
          Do hope she's ok. x

Comment

She's just not interested in eating or drinking anything The gloop sounds a good idea, but like I said earlier, (besides not having all the ingredients or equipment to hand) I'm just not confident enough to tube feed her. I'll keep persevering with water, and I'll try some soaked (dried) mealworms and some scrambled egg with a touch of garlic. She's still quiet here in the living room, asleep in the washing basket. That's unusual in itself isn't it? A chook asleep in the light!!!

Comment

I have recently had to syringe antibiotics etc which was such as nightmare.

However if you can hold her under one arm, get your filled syringe and try and open her beak slightly, if she is weaker she may allow you to do this, gently drip the water into her beak, hopefully she will try and swallow the drips

you only have to get her to open a little.

I had to try and put her medicine in today on my own and my friend showed me how to on my own - however the thought of putting pressure on her throat to open her beak is scary so I tried gently but didnt want to carry on

But I can get her to open her beak slightly and drip it in, that way you dont have to worry about choking her

Comment

Thanks everybody I've managed to get a few sips of water into her beak using a turkey baster! ( hope she doesn't get a complex about that) though I'm not holding out a lot of hope, unfortunately she seems to be slipping in and out of consciousness now . She spent last night in the big coop with the big girls and Jerry, I wonder if she got squashed or something. She doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort though, but these chooks never let on till it's too late do they

Comment

Sad to report that the little one died in the night
                  I did manage to get some water into her, and I had another good look all over her body and found a lot of bruising on her abdomen. Her back feathers also were a bit yukky which at first I put down to mud, but I now think (I may be way off the mark here) that Jerry tried to have his wicked way with her! Either that, or she got in the way when he was bonking someone else and got crushed. So, no matter what I'd (or even a vet) done to help her, it wouldn't have saved her. Bless, she's in chooky heaven now and I feel really sad

Comment

sorry Mo, sending hugs.....xx
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Ooh poor little mite - and poor you ((((hugs)))) from me too!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

sending a virtual hug

Comment

Aww...that's sad......big hug from me xx
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

What a shame Mo- but you did your best for her.

I remembered this morning that the thing my Ruby would eat when all else failed was tinned sweetcorn!
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Mahoosive hugs from me too Aunty Mo
                              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X