1st Minorca egg!!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Minorca egg!!!!!!

Way hay!!!! I thought it would never happen! I bought two Minorcan indeterminates (not sure whether cocks or hens) supposedly at point of lay. This was three months ago and one has only just today got round to laying an egg!
    If the other one is a similar age and isn't crowing or fighting with the cockerel I have good reason to believe SHE is also a hen!

Proof will be when I have TWO large white eggs in the nestbox. It doesn't half make it easier when collecting eggs in the dark if they are flourecent white!
    And this is from a bird which isn't supposed to be hardy in this country (even though their winter quarters ARE in the greenhouse.)
    I have a large Light Sussex cockerel running with two Minorcas and four ISA's so in the spring I may try hatching a few interesting hybrids!
    Last edited by Snadger; 14-12-2009, 07:36 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Well done that bird!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Told you it wouldn't be long. Well done Snadge-Minorca!!

Mine's still going strong. Has laid 5 days out of 7, and altho' eggs aren't very big yet (about 50g so far) are beautiful and white.

I hope you get the same result with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
        Told you it wouldn't be long. Well done Snadge-Minorca!!

Mine's still going strong. Has laid 5 days out of 7, and altho' eggs aren't very big yet (about 50g so far) are beautiful and white.

I hope you get the same result with yours.
        Thanks RH! I knew someone elses Minorca had just recently started laying............ but I couldn't for the life of me remember who's!

This egg is a large egg, so hope its a sign of things to come.

Only Maureen, (I think) is letting the side down with her Minorca's now!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Congratulations Snadge.
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Only Maureen, (I think) is letting the side down with her Minorca's now!
            I wish my Alice would start laying!! She's 27 weeks now and her comb seems to have got quite a bit bigger in the last week or so ............. I really hope she's not an Albert after all she's too pretty to be an Albert
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
              I wish my Alice would start laying!! She's 27 weeks now and her comb seems to have got quite a bit bigger in the last week or so ............. I really hope she's not an Albert after all she's too pretty to be an Albert
              I reckon, floppy comb an Alice, sticky up comb an Albert!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I reckon, floppy comb an Alice, sticky up comb an Albert!
                What about half and half? Think it's starting to flop though (if it doesn't I'll stick it down with sellotape!)

Comment

I got three Minorca pullets at a recent auction and their combs are growing I've got two hens already, one has a floppy comb (folds over at the front, anyway - very stylish!) and one has a standing-up comb... so you never know!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                    I got three Minorca pullets at a recent auction and their combs are growing I've got two hens already, one has a floppy comb (folds over at the front, anyway - very stylish!) and one has a standing-up comb... so you never know!
                    Do they have an outside run at this time of year BW? If so, goes to prove they ARE hardy, as if they will survive in your neck of the woods, they'll survive anywhere!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My laying Minorca's comb has not flopped completely yet. It's a little bit over but not too far. I have another younger girl who still has a straight comb, and is not laying yet.

Comment

Please will one of you with laying Minorcas post a picture of her egg next to an "ordinary" egg? I've had 2 or 3 large "nearly white" eggs this last couple of weeks and I'm not sure if they're from Alice or not. She's 31 weeks old now with a floppy comb (not flopped right over yet though)

Comment

My Minorca has stopped laying because of the snow! Her eggs were about the size of my larger bantam eggs (I think we weighed one at about 50g) and very white. However even after a couple of weeks laying the size did not increase very much and I was hoping for a larger egg but it didn't happen. Then the snow came and she has not laid since. Her sister has a cold and is not laying either!!!

TBH all my young birds are being really wussy about the weather. I'm considering bringing them inside. The oldsters are fine with it, and all the bantams are happy enough, and laying. Snow is beautiful, but a pain in the posterior as far as managing chickens is concerned.

Over to you Snadge ............ !!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                            My Minorca has stopped laying because of the snow! Her eggs were about the size of my larger bantam eggs (I think we weighed one at about 50g) and very white. However even after a couple of weeks laying the size did not increase very much and I was hoping for a larger egg but it didn't happen. Then the snow came and she has not laid since. Her sister has a cold and is not laying either!!!

TBH all my young birds are being really wussy about the weather. I'm considering bringing them inside. The oldsters are fine with it, and all the bantams are happy enough, and laying. Snow is beautiful, but a pain in the posterior as far as managing chickens is concerned.

Over to you Snadge ............ !!
                            I'll see what I can do but mine is only laying about one a week. Fairly large irredecent white eggs that are dead easy to see in the dark (not like black cats!) About the same size as my ISA's eggs!

Wait a minute..........ah here we are with a normal brown egg next to it!
                            Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Looks like one of those wooden eggs Snadge - they 'glow' in the dark too! ( you had a close look at it???)
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X