No announcement yet.

Snow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Richmond - some people seem to give their chooks a menu!

I can't yet always tell the 'hobby' people with a few girls from the serious ones with loads but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it!

Comment

I come down this morning and the chooks had let themselves out and were outdoors!

Obviously got over the shock from yesterday :-)
      All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
      For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Our lot don't mind snow but the youngsters have discovered that ice is a bit scary when aiming at Mummy at their normal running pace and not being able to stop
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

It was my chooks first snow season, they were hatched back in the summer so I am sure they were puzzled - lol.

Comment

Snow? What snow? I seems to be giving us a miss as usual.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I take that back, lol.
              Famous last words.
              It is now snowing in Liverpool, yay!

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Well I hope it stays there as I am unable to work in this weather :-(

Comment

Originally posted by PatchyPauline View Post
                  I have only been feeding them the normal layers pellets plus a few treats as usual but keep reading about warm mash etc - what exactly does this mean?
                  Pauline I'm a hobby chook slave to 3 laydees

Last night I made a mash of their layers pellets by pouring on hot water and added a slurp of codliver oil (aids vitamin D absorption), a spoonful of poultry spice, a few raisins and a handful of corn. Then put half in the microwave and the rest in the fridge for tonight's supper.

It's nice to hold a warm dish in your hands whilst tucking them into bed and the chooks love it. I tasted it and it is quite vile

Last night/this morning is the first time the water has frozen in their drinker in the run.
                  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Thanks Eco chick for this - I'll try it. When you say 'tuck them up' do you actually put them inside? I have just been waiting until they disappear in when it gets dark and nipping out and closing the door! Do you feed them their treat inside the house?

Comment

Pauline, Eco-chick's chooks are spoiled rotten She hand feeds them then wipes their beaks for them before putting their jammies on and tucking them into bed after a bedtime story

Must admit though that I did spoil my lot a bit this morning. Their drinkers froze over solid within an hour of them getting up, so I made them some porridge and pellets mixed up with hot water and put hot water in the drinkers too. The glycerine didn't seem to work for me either - maybe I didn't put enough in
                      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Pauline, they actually put themselves to bed

Sometimes I close the run door as soon as it is dusk, other times it may be an hour or so later. I do feed them their supper while they are in the coop though. On several occasions when I've been spotted carrying something down the garden they've all rushed into the coop and up onto the perch in hope of treats.

Myrtle has gone broody (too young, wrong breed, but broody nonetheless) so I drag her out of the nest box and pop her onto the perch with Maude and Madge and feed them from there. If it's dark, I wear my 'miner's lamp' so I, and they, can see the food. When the mash is finished I touch their legs and feet to make sure they're warm and Myrtle flumps off the perch and back into the nest box. I stroke Maude while she wipes the mash on my hand or sleeve and I duck vicious pecks from Madge when I stroke her.

Squatting down feeding them supper this way for the last 3 months has tightened up my leg muscles and glutes marvellously

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                          ...She hand feeds them then wipes their beaks for them before putting their jammies on and tucking them into bed after a bedtime story
                          I did try wiping the mash of Maude's beak tonight with kitchen towell Didn't work. She just wanted to shred it

Maintains dignified silence re jammies and bedtime stories
                          Last edited by Eco-Chic; 19-12-2009, 05:36 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

*wonders if the reason my birds keep trying to get away is cos they've heard how good life is with eco-chick! lol

Comment

It's more a case of indulging myself, rather than spoiling them, I think.

They can fly quite well across the garden but at low height. Orpie Bantams aren't very aerodynamic. They do get up a good speed when they run across the decking though.

Comment

Pauline I've got 40 odd now..but it's still only a hobby..honest. And you can still spoil them when you've got lots, you just decide what suits your own circumstances best. Mine still get cuddles and treats.
                                As for bedtime..at this time of year I dont get back from work till after its dark and mine have put themselves to bed. But if you get new ones or babies its as well to check they're all in as soon as poss after dark, as they tend to get pushed out. I got 5 young (18 weekish) lately and had to hunt for them every night for a week and a bit before they settled in. Two sleep with the big guys and three with the other youngsters.
                                Matthew mine have yet to meet snow as theyre this years hatch too.. can't wait..send your snow my way PLEASE.
                                Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X