Snow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow?

I was awoken by some very loud clucking noises this morning... Chooks in distress!

I flew down the stairs and out the door, I then saw why... Snow! Poor little things couldn't get out their door. They'd been snowed in :-)

So I went back in an mixed them up a big bowl of warm water and layers mash, lovely. I defrosted their roof and cleared their door but they still won't come out. They look set on staying in all day.

The Eco Life Morland Road Allotments Snow?
    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
    For a cleaner, greener future!

No proper snow here yet, but from what I can remember last winter my chooks were all a bit bewildered at first but came out and started scratching around in the snow after about half an hour (think they were trying to build a snowman really!) I did give them warm pellet mash first thing, ad lib pellets throughout the day, and a bowl of porridge mash about half an hour before bed. ACV or tonic in their water, and they still kept giving me eggs I'm keeping a close eye on my Minorca at the moment, they're supposed to be more sensitive to frosts and cold
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

We have had quite a bit of snow overnight, enough to close all the schools anyway.
      I went down with some porridge. No sign of any of them. Then I saw the 2 new girls huddled under the conifers (it's dry there), looking mighty confused!

No sign of the old girls. Then a little head appeared at the pop hole - all 3 were still inside the coop and had pushed the new girls out in the snow and stayed in the warm and dry themselves! Charming!

They soon came running for the porridge though

Comment

Oh, not a nice welcome for the new girls.
        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Nearly half one, the sun is out but still no chooks!

Comment

Originally posted by matthew2riches View Post
            Nearly half one, the sun is out but still no chooks!
            Not frozen to the perches are they!
            No snow here but last year my lot thought it was good enough to eat.

Comment

My lot were out as soon as the 'pop-hole' opened (long before I got up!) and were merrily playing in the snow by the time I went out there. They seemed perfectly happy
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

One of my runs which is a mudbath is now turned white. Its stayed white all day long as well..................so I reckon chooks mustn't like romping in the snow!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine went out in 4" snow- but refused today offering of 8".....awwww.....
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

all the snow has settled on the roof of my run and none actually in it! Chooks were out, and had their warm mash for brekkie. Still looks so empty with only 4 chooks, will definitely have some more in Spring
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

My chickens were utterly disgusted with me this morning when they saw the snow, they promptly went back to bed! Funny how you can tell by their clucking when they are cross!

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                        My chickens were utterly disgusted with me this morning when they saw the snow, they promptly went back to bed! Funny how you can tell by their clucking when they are cross!
                        Oh yes! You can tell exactly how they feel from what they say

Comment

We've had quite a bit here. Old chooks happy to come out and scratch around, but this year's youngsters absolutely refusing point blank. I've thrown them out several times but they just go straight back in. Can't get some of them to budge an inch, mad things. Can't put food/water in the house so they will have to come out at some stage to find it. Every year it is the same thing - old chooks know the score, new chooks terrified of the stuff!

Comment

Down here in the south we have had just a few inches of snow and as my run is covered my two have been out and about ok. Did some very high stepping and low flying out in the garden though! I have only been feeding them the normal layers pellets plus a few treats as usual but keep reading about warm mash etc - what exactly does this mean? Also, I tried glycerine in the water yesterday and it's still frozen this morning? They are in an eglu at night so seem to be quite snug - they are both laying each day. Thanks.

Comment

I've never tried glycerine in the water. TBH if you only have a few chickens with one drinker, it would be best to just empty out the drinker the night before and refill in the morning with fresh water, or take hot water out to melt the ice. It's if you have loads and loads of pens to deal with putting something like glycerine in will save man hours defrosting and refilling.

Foodwise, I personally don't give mine anything different when it's very cold, apart from a bit of extra corn in the afternoon. There are various recipes from others on here somewhere about what they put in their mash so I'm sure you'll find something.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X