No announcement yet.

Federation Show - Stafford

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I suppose - forget how much further up you are than us - it doesn;t seem that far when we come over but it is really I suppose
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

I went to the show with Shelly (Shellingtons) but didn't go till early afternoon and we purposely didn't take any money with us (I did buy a huge container of ACV though and had to pay by cheque!) Like Mike said, it really was a fantastic show, so many entries! I joined the Croad Langshan club in October and wanted to see some of them "in the flesh" and I certainly wasn't disappointed. We also had dinner last night with some of the members and had a long chat with 2 judges who gave us lots of advice - but I don't think I really want to go into the showing lark (yet!)

Sorry to hear about your OH Sue, hope he recovers soon xxxx. Keep safe on the long journeys
      Last edited by MaureenHall; 20-12-2009, 08:17 AM.
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Thoughts with you and your OH Sue

Glad it's too far away
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Here here Steve - so glad it's out of my range. Having said that, Mr. G has driven all the way up to Doncaster this morning to collect some tyres - another nutter!

Sorry to hear about you OH Suechooks, best wishes from me for a speedy recovery, and a happy Christmas together
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll pass on all your good wishes to him later. Hoping the snow holds off a while!

If Chook showing is anything like dog showing I think I'd give it a miss!

Comment

Please tell me that Chook showers are not as up their own 'arris as dog showers
              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

No actually we found it very nice - Charlotte wants to show next year and everyone was very welcoming of her and helpful with hints and tips, all really glad to pass their knowledge on and loving the fact that a little girl seemed keen to take it up - even investigating our new purchases to see if they were good or not!!
                My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                  Please tell me that Chook showers are not as up their own 'arris as dog showers
                  I have kept coming back to this thread and thinking "Shall I, shan't I" and would like to say, with the greatest respect, that although I can't vouch for chicken exhibitors, I have found over the years that, excepting a few, dog exhibitors are as cheery and friendly bunch of folk that anyone could wish to meet. Dog showing is a more serious pastime as you have to physically put your dog through it's paces and concentrate on getting the best out of them, whereas poultry showers, having got their bird in the best condition put them in a cage and leave it to the judge So perhaps dog exhibitors seem a bit more single-minded and serious.
                  I will also say that,in the majority, dogs that don't come up to scratch are still kept and loved by their owners and not eaten!!
                  I now have my hands over my head waiting for the flack!!!

Comment

hahaha polly - duck sweetie!! I have my opinions of show dogs but thats not for on here!!

I will say chicken showing seems less political and more about which bird is actually the best looking one rather than its pedigree name!
                    My Blog

Comment

I know you have show dogs as well and are as clued up as me as to "judging up the lead" but do you not agree that the majority of folk are out for a good day, win or lose?
                      I'm afraid too many people have had their opinion made for them by watching "that" T.V. programme without finding out facts and making up their own minds!

Comment

Its the same in the horse world too. There are those who win because of who they are or know, (although the majority of judges are fair) those who cannot bear to lose, and are terrible behind everyones back, and those who simply do it with the aim of winning, but are helpful friendly and simply smile and say 'oh well, next time' if they lose.
                        maybe the money is a big factor..dogs and horses rocket in value when they have good wins and can make a fortune in stud fees.
                        I've never heard of huge prize money for chooks, or of stud fees. Although I know winning birds can be expensive.
                        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Yes I agree Polly - everyone is friendly I have lots of friends from the show world, the odd one or two are funny but thats the same with everything the vast majority are having a good day out and sharing picnincs and tea runs and even teh odd bottle of wine!!
                          My Blog

Comment

Yes I know most dog exhibitors are ok BUT having done the circuit for several years and bred CC and Reserve CC winners I still say there far too much mutual back scratching going on. If the judges stuck to judging the dog by the breed standard and not by who's handling it then maybe we'd all get a fairer crack of the whip.
                            Never been to a Poultry show so can't comment! But good luck Charlotte!

Comment

well we will see Sue - she joined her breed club yesterday and she really wants to show as long as she gets a ticket I'm sure she will be happy. Agree with the dogs though - its even worse in our breed as its such a rare breed the registered Judge is the top breeder for the breed, strange how her kennel name is in the top 3 every time!!!

How is Oh Sue?
                              My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble-Poultry View Post
                                well we will see Sue - she joined her breed club yesterday and she really wants to show as long as she gets a ticket I'm sure she will be happy. Agree with the dogs though - its even worse in our breed as its such a rare breed the registered Judge is the top breeder for the breed, strange how her kennel name is in the top 3 every time!!!

How is Oh Sue?
                                Improving thanks Jennie. Very breathless on any exertion but after 13 hours in theatre and 36 hours ventilated I guess that's not unexpected! Surgeon still saying home Tuesday or Wed depending on result of aortic scan tomorrow

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X