Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bald patches

Morning everyone!

I have 6 bovan goldlines, they are about 21 months old. We had a spate of bullying earlier in the year, but that seems to have been resolved and I have not witnessed any further incidents.
    What I am now seeing is lots of feathers in the coop on a regular basis and 2 of my girls, one of which was the 'victim' (this may not be relevant) have a big bald patch at the base of their crop and one of their legs has only got white feathers left. I do also see flight feathers in the coop. They all come out of the coop every day, they're not broody.
    DO you think they are being bullied at night? Do chickens do this, or are they doing it to themselves? Any ideas - I am concerned that its getting cold and a its not the best time to have a bald spot! Otherwise they are all fit and healthy.
    thank you!
    Jo

time, patience, and perseverance will accomplish all things.

It sounds as if they are moulting. They do that at this time of year. One of mine looks about half her normal size.

Comment

I think they're moulting, silly chooks do that in the winter
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Why do they moult in winter?
        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
          Why do they moult in winter?
          The term 'bird-brained' comes to mind! It does seem silly doesn't it. One of mine is in a partial moult. The others don't seem to be - it's their first winter.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Phew! You have no idea what a relief it is to hear that - I knew they moulted, but didn't expect it to happen over winter, bird brained is right! They didn't moult last winter, altho they weren't a year old then. I had visions of infra-red cameras and night vigils to catch the culprit!!

thank you!
            Jo

time, patience, and perseverance will accomplish all things.

Comment

My Bluebelle is about that age and looks like a very neglected ex-batt!

Comment

My 29 week old Orpington Bantam went into lay during November, dropped all of her underneath feathers early December (Myrtle no-knicks) and went broody 10 days ago. She's leaving more feathers in the nest box each day, but still looks fully feathered on top and down the outside of her legs.

Maude has lost quite a few underneath feathers, but nowhere near as many as Myrtle no-knicks.

Last time I was able to sneak up on Madge and check her out she was fully feathered. Madge doesn't like me touching her.
                If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

if you are worried about them being cold make jumpers for the (no i'm not insane!) If you are a good knitter then you can knit some - actually you don;t need to be a good knitter I knitted 2 and have never knitted before in my life - they just took ages my mom knitted 6 in the time it took me to do 1/2 of one!! or make them out of fleecy fabric - pattern is on Little hen rescues webpage (google it)

Its been a very mild autumn so perhaps thats why they are late into the moult!
                  My Blog
                  http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X