No announcement yet.

Rescue Cocks for Christmas!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It beats me how they are still alive? We worry about foxes getting into our coops and pens yet these lot have survived for months on their own!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

These remaining three have probably been the toughest of the bunch Snadge. I think there were originally about six, all of whom have "disappeared". Foxes/car hits or just illness have taken them I suspect. When they were first dumped the weather was mild and there were enough insects/seeds about to keep them going. I expect they have been roosting in trees as none of them have wings clipped. It's since the weather turned and food has become scarce they have started to suffer. The ground has been covered with snow for the last three days which means they have probably eaten nothing - my housed birds have needed forcing outside to feed, but they are well fleshed and can cope with being "on a diet" for a short while. An already malnourished bird will fail quickly with no food source, and with nowhere to shelter from the heavy snow we have had they are using up their very last resources to keep warm. One of the cocks I picked up was hunkered down in the snow with his eyes closed - he would have definitely died tonight without food and shelter.

I'm not asking for praise for what I've done, (many of you rescue battery hens etc), and my more practical side has been shouting "wring their necks and put them out of their misery" but given they have hung on for so long it was the least I could do.

Comment

I hope they recover RH. I think maybe people dump them out of ignorance. When I was trying to rehome my cockerels I lost count of the amount of people who told me to leave them in the forest. I had to explain that would be cruel as they woudn't know how to feed themselves. I had adverts everwhere I could think of but one of the rescue places I had contacted told me not to offer them free as they could be taken and used for bait in cockfighting. In the end they were culled and I think that was much better than facing what could have happened to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          It beats me how they are still alive? We worry about foxes getting into our coops and pens yet these lot have survived for months on their own!
          Once the fox is in the coop it becomes a prison/slaughterhouse.
          If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Quick update: They are all still alive this am. It was still darkish when I went to see them but they all seem ok.

Comment

Just like to echo other people's sentiments and say goon on yer. Merry Christmas
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

what a lovely thing you've done, its made me quite emotional, hope the b*****ds who dumped them get theyre cumuppence and glad they've made it throught the night x
                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

That's good news Richmond. Hmm, husbands for my girls? Well I can dream can't I?
                  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Pics...............
                    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                    For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Ooooh yeah piccies please

Well done from me too, for rescuing them. People that dump animals/birds are the lowest form of life.

I heard a story of a woman who dumped her horse at a rescue centre. She tied it to their main gate one night, left a brief note, and drove off. Silly cow had had the horse micro-chipped to they traced her and prosecuted her for abandonment!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                        Sorry, I'll now get off my soap box .............
                        Don't be sorry. You've a beeping good reason(actually 3) to be on it!

Bless you and hope they recover quick and are placid for cockerals

EDIT : Where's the PICS!!!!
                        Last edited by RedThorn; 21-12-2009, 05:42 PM.
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

quite fancies a few cocks for xmas myself ..... *ok ok i'm already sat there

well done RH even if you do end up eating them, it will at least be humane xxxx which is more than can be said for the t***s that dumped them

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                            quite fancies a few cocks for xmas myself ..... *ok ok i'm already sat there

well done RH even if you do end up eating them, it will at least be humane xxxx which is more than can be said for the t***s that dumped them
                            Here, here!!!
                            All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                            For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X