Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex batt, not sure what to do?

Hi all

Curly, my new ex batt is all hunched up and isnt eating much, I have now brought her home from the allotment and placed her in the garage with some heat.

I have checked her and the only thing I can see or feel is that her underside is slightly bigger than the others and she does have a dirty bum

Could she have a blockage there? I noticed some head movement, very slight this morning. I wormed them last week but because she has been not eating and pushed around I doubt she has managed to get much inside her, so I've put some in her food today

Any ideas or have a covered all the bases

Could she be eggbound? Perhaps a warm bath would make her more comfortable and freshen up her feathers at the same time?
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

It sounds as if she may have a tumour. Is the bigger bit at her back end sort of behind the keel bone? A couple of my ex-batts have gone like this. It's usually quite tight. Difficult to explain but I think she needs a vet. Sadly it may be terminal but in view of the fact she's obviously suffering there doesn't seem any other option. Sorry.

Comment

I thought these photos may help shed some light, including her poo (sorry for that one)

Comment

She does look unwell - can't pass an opinion on the poo but I've seen worse!
          I can only say if she was mine I'd be at the vet with her.
          She may have problems keeping warm too as the cages are constantly warm and their keeping-warm-system doesn't always kick in sufficiently.

Comment

She looks unwell but it still makes me cross that they are kept like that and nice people like you rescue them everyone should be made to see these poor things or battery eggs outlawed altogether, I hope she feels better soon.

Comment

I've been reading a few sites and i've read one that seemed to indicate Egg Peritonitis?

The signs are apparently:

can simply be sudden death
              abdominal swelling
              respiratory distress
              depression
              anorexia
              cessation of egg laying
              Can be complicated by diabetes, strokes, intestinal obstruction and hepatitis.

** Curly has noisy breathing from time to time, a squishy underside, she is very lethargic and is being bullied away from food.....

They suggest:

Treatment initially involves supportive care to stabilise the bird.
              Hormone treatment to stop eggs forming
              Heat, fluids and antibiotics should be given as well as the provision of high protein foods.

But what does Supportive care mean, peace & quiet away from the other birds, hand feeding the bird, keeping them warm ????

The other indication is worms, so I have managed to get a wormer today that I put in her water - I now have a fixed run, so could this effect the others too?

Oh what a worry....

Comment

If it's worms then they will probably all have them. If it's egg peritonitis, she needs to see a vet ASAP. He might prescribe Baytril or advise putting her to sleep. As Sue said it might be a tumour. It the later stages the hen swells up with fluid and it does sound like it as you say Curly feels squishy underneath. Unfortunately ex-batts do seem prone to this but only a vet can tell you for sure. If you are really lucky you get a vet like mine who only charges for medication for rescue hens and not for the consultation. Fingers crossed it's something treatable.

Comment

I want to try her on Baydrill, is there any way I can get this without taking her to the vet? My vet charges like £30 to see her and to be honest I cant get her there because I cant get out.

I could walk up and get some, but would they give me some and is it wrong to just ask for some?

Comment

Tick, Baytril is a prescription only medicine. Is it worth asking your vet to email you a prescription so you can order it online as you can't get to him?
                    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
                      I want to try her on Baydrill, is there any way I can get this without taking her to the vet? My vet charges like £30 to see her and to be honest I cant get her there because I cant get out.

I could walk up and get some, but would they give me some and is it wrong to just ask for some?
                      You need to get a vet prescription for Baytril and quite honestly if it's egg peritonitis it'll be too late by the time you get it. Supportive treatment means drips, antibiotics, pain killers etc. Most unlikely to do this for a hen and if they did you'd have a bill for a lot more than £30! One of my dogs was in on a drip etc and we paid a few hundred.
                      If your vet is in walking distance couldn't you put her in a cat carrier or similar and take her? She does seem to have been poorly for a long time so my money would be on a tumour. As Frias says ex-batts are prone to this. I do hope you can get her sorted soon as she is obviously suffering.

Comment

all sorted, we have treated her for worms, and have antibiotics for any other aspects that may be present.

I'm to keep up with the yogurt and keep her warm, review again in 5 days. They didnt think it was a tumor but felt it was either egg bound or Egg peritonitis.

I'm worried about bathing her because of the cold. So will see if I can do it and keep her in the house overnight

Comment

That's great Tick! I do hope she pulls through - she must be a fighter.
                          If you do decide to bath her you could dry her off with a hair dryer - I use my dog drier as the motor is quieter but they don't seem to mind ordinary hair dryers - then put her in a box or cage overnight to keep her warm. I'm lucky as I have all sorts of stuff from when I bred and showed dogs - heat lamps, heat pads, cages etc - all useful for poorly chooks!
                          Last edited by Suechooks; 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

What are you feeding her, she will be used to layers mash or pellets her system will be tuned to this sort of diet and rescues usually fail because they are desperate for the correct protein level, give her ad lib layers mash or pellets she will not overeat that type of food. I prefer mash as I its easier to digest, if you have any, mix a small amout of live yoghurt with it, this will help settle any digestive upsets she may have, she is also trying to grow new feathers and this will need a tremendous amount of protein also.

Comment

mix the layers mash with ygourt, didnt think of that, will do that tomorrow.

She didnt take much food today, I have layers mash warmed, layers mash with ex batt crumbs mixed and put a little lettuce out in case she thought that looked like grass. Put a pile of grit/oyster shell out

She seems to struggle with anything but water, well not struggle cause I;ve seen her eat, but sort of swish it round.

She ate some of the mash this morning, but her crop wasnt very full.

She's been rehomed in a box, in front of a heater, need a plug for a borrowed heat lamp, trying that tomorrow! she has been given Marbocyl rather than Baydril by the vet

fingers crossed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X