No announcement yet.

two missing birds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think they are stealing them for food, or to sell on to try and make a few quid? My guess is the latter.

Comment

Sorry to hear that BG. The low-life who took mine waited about 18 months between thefts so I was lulled into a false sense of security. We do however think it was different scum who did it as the first lot were older birds and there were some vagrants living locally so they were prime suspects for taking them to eat. The second lot were definitely targetted by someone who knew they were there, as they came prepared with boltcutters etc. and probably were sold on.
      I do hope you can secure your birds - I felt that making it as difficult as possible for them was really the only way. Must admit I felt like giving up at that time. Don't let the bu%%£*s beat you!

Comment

I wonder whether the thieves might be recent arrivals in the country. There are stories of newly arrived immigrants killing and cooking swans and ornamental waterfowl from public parks, so maybe SOME of those folk would as happily take chickens from someone's shed! I emphasise that I am not suggesting immigrants are thieves, just that there are thieves who are also new immigrants, and that birds have been taken for food by people in that description.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
          I wonder whether the thieves might be recent arrivals in the country. There are stories of newly arrived immigrants killing and cooking swans and ornamental waterfowl from public parks, so maybe SOME of those folk would as happily take chickens from someone's shed! I emphasise that I am not suggesting immigrants are thieves, just that there are thieves who are also new immigrants, and that birds have been taken for food by people in that description.
          The suspects in our original theft were "recent arrivals" and living rough in the local NT woods about 400yds away from the allotment site. One allotment holder had turfed 3 of them off the site a few weeks earlier!

Comment

It would certainly could be an answer to your theft, and I've heard of so many reports of this. Unfortunetly "some" new arrivals do not have the same level of right and wrong as we do, in some of their countries, lifestock is fair game

Comment

Our parish council landlords have taken the recent thefts to heart and are beefing up site security. We now have new high gates and there are plans to put up barbed wire along the preimeter fence this week. couldn't have asked for more. We also have barbed wire along the top of the of the fence and removed a waterbut where we think they climbed over. fingers crossed. one day at a time. thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.
              Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow
              - Author Unknown

Comment

it's really good that your committee are taking the matter seriously and prepared to do something concrete about it! We have 7' metal fencing all round the site but the Council refuse to put any sort of barbed wire up as they say it is illegal. They have however put anti-climb paint on top of the gates and some of the fencing adjacent to it! We are not allowed barbed wire on our plots either. Good luck with your imrovements!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X