No announcement yet.

buzzard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost a 9 week old bantam, the other 3 apparently unfazed and no feathers or blood. I thought aerial attack.

Comment

My friend in Spain used to worry when her fox terrier puppy was young, as the Buzzards would swoop down after him in the garden.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Our American Staffy 45kgs and some sort of bird of prey dive bombed her in our garden, several times and she was not one to mess with, but it had her running

Comment

The RSPB: Buzzard: Feeding

Chickens sound a bit big to me, but you never know..

From the link... "enfeebled". What a great word!
          Last edited by BFG; 15-01-2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
            Our American Staffy 45kgs and some sort of bird of prey dive bombed her in our garden, several times and she was not one to mess with, but it had her running
            Not much likelihood it was a hunting attack, more likely the bird saw Staffy as a threat, in much the same way that crows and other 'possible prey' birds will 'mob' an owl or hawk. Vultures have been known to attempt to drive animals over cliffs, presumably in order to feast on the remains, but outside of that it is vanishingly rare for a bird to tackle anything too big for comfortable hunting!
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Found white feathers from what could be my light sussex, 500 meters away in field today along with a meat bone about 10 inch long from a joint looks like a fox kill but also seen buzzard flying about this morning.

Comment

Turned out to be a fox,it took 3 more in the last few weeks.
                So to solve the problem i have built another run out of heras panels,it is 450 sq.feet,i hope this solves the problem.

Comment

A covered run for when you arent' there is a secure option. Ours only come out when we are there to supervise. Mainly for foxy reasons but we do get buzzards here.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

where I live in SW France we have alot of preybirds, buzzards, kestrels, hawks, I love them and their lonely cries, Ive seen buzzard catch hare, so a chicken might be a possibilty but i don't think they'd bother if there were rabbits etc to be had. Having said that, now again you'll get a wild creature that realises some human inventions like captive hens in a garden or coop are alot easier to catch then a rabbit with a hole to bolt to so it's possible I guess. ps most amazin fing I ever saw was a big buzzard drop into my garden when my kids were little, take a huge snake from near where my tots were playing and fly off with it! The snake was a non poisonous variety but it was about as long as my leg and they've got big old fangs!! (last year one climbed into my car 'innards' too when I stopped for it on the road!!! it slithered under my car and quick as a wink it was up via my wheel! the fireman's missus who lives in the village came out and we tried to get it out, in the end we reckoned it must have 'legged it'(!!!) whilst i was up the road knocking on her door. I drove up to the firestation and her hubby checked the car and said it's clear, no snake. Twent four hours and a hundred kms later the snake dropped out of my car and laid on my doorstep...untill the fireman came and caught it for me and released up the road. Silly bugger arrived with lights flashing onthe fire engine so that all the grannies were out to see the drama! MOST embarrassing...oops sorry for long posting!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X