Cockerel advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockerel advice please

OK, OK, I know I said I wouldn't EVER have a Cockerel, but, well, let's just say one may be needing a home, and he is gorgeous, so I though I'd ask the 'font of all knowledge' for your collective advice.

I know I'm sooooooo gonna regret this, but here goes;

When I put all my Chooks together in a couple of weeks there will be 43, all female. Is that sufficient to keep one Cockerel happy? They'll have a net covered earth run surrounded by 'Heras' type fence panels, so it will be around 9m x 9m. It will have leccy fence round the outside of that to keep the foxes out, and a netting ceiling to keep the rooks/crows/pigeons/maggies/jays out (It's too expensive to feed them too). Also, added to this they'll have a grass area surrounded by electrified poultry netting. This can be moved to give access to better grass and rest other areas.

Shall I get him or not?

I think I'll make it a Poll...

Thanks all you lovely peeps
    Yes, get the Cockerel
    70.83%
    No, don't get the Cockerel
    29.17%
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Do you have neighbours? If so, find out if they will object to early morning alarm calls!! Or you can do what I do and put my cockerels in a box at night and let them out at a "civilised" time in the morning.
    Also, he may become aggressive towards you in which case keeping hens becomes a nightmare instead of a joy. And, if you have small children think very carefully, a fully-grown rooster can injure a small child!

Comment

Not that I know that much about them apart from what I've read.
      I was esp interested as I have 2 cockerels and wondered how it'd work out.

From what I recall it seemed that each lad is best suited to about 8 ladies. Fewer ladies and they get a bit too 'bothered' by the lads. Any more and the lad gets utterly exhausted by trying to serve them all
      I have 7 ladies and 2 guys and they do sort of split into 2 groups.

I suppose it depends on the temperament of the guy?
      I utterly love my lads- they are really quite different from the gals and I would aways have a cockerel .
      Are you able to take him and see how things work out on the proviso that if there is a problem then he can be returned.
      Things are never the same in practice as they are on paper!
      Yup- I'd go for it

...does he have some brothers to go with him- they're less likely to fight if they're brought up together.... 3 or 4 would be an education!!!!!
      Last edited by Nicos; 15-01-2010, 03:12 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Good advice there. Check with the neighbours, and consider the temperament issue carefully. Some cockerels are wonderful for quite a while, and then suddenly get aggressive (although with 43 ladies, he may simply be too tired to bully you OR crow!)
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I know you'll have 43 but..... senario coming up...................

what if he just bonks his faves and they're the ex bats and they die OK I know BUT it could happen if he's fussy.
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Can they die of bonking???..cor what a way to go young man young man!!!

I suppose they may have problems carrying his weight if they have weak bones from excessive egg laying??? There's a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
              Do you have neighbours? If so, find out if they will object to early morning alarm calls!! Or you can do what I do and put my cockerels in a box at night and let them out at a "civilised" time in the morning.
              Also, he may become aggressive towards you in which case keeping hens becomes a nightmare instead of a joy. And, if you have small children think very carefully, a fully-grown rooster can injure a small child!
              Nearest neighbour that side is a three-odd acre paddock away. The neighbour out the front, a field away has chickens and cockerels.

I don't have children (ghastly thought ) but I know first-hand (or should I say feet and beak ) what a Cockerel can do to a child my folks had one when we were small and it would attack on sight. That's why I said I'd never have one. But I've cured my life-long fear of Geese by getting some, so I thought ...

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
              Good advice there. Check with the neighbours, and consider the temperament issue carefully. Some cockerels are wonderful for quite a while, and then suddenly get aggressive (although with 43 ladies, he may simply be too tired to bully you OR crow!)
              I was hoping he'd be too tired, but that's why I asked the question in the first place, as I know there's loads of Grapes who keep them successfully.

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
              I know you'll have 43 but..... senario coming up...................

what if he just bonks his faves and they're the ex bats and they die OK I know BUT it could happen if he's fussy.
              Trust you! I hadn't thought of that.

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Can they die of bonking???..cor what a way to go young man young man!!!

I suppose they may have problems carrying his weight if they have weak bones from excessive egg laying??? There's a thought
              EXCESSIVE egg laying - I wish!

Comment

(fantastic use of multi quote!)
                I'm voting yes....we all know you will get one anyway!!!!!

Comment

Be very careful what can seem like a serene picture can turn into mayhem!! Unless you are going to breed, then what is the point, he will send your hens broody.
                  If you are going to go for it, take a few birds away and give him some to play with, rather than upset the whole flock.
                  I also agree with HayleyB if they have fav's they will bonk them more, the trouble is they tend to be the poor little hens at the bottom of the pecking order that get more attention, and are too weak to fend him off!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                    EXCESSIVE egg laying - I wish!
                    I was thinking of the exbatts

I'd go with the idea of separating him with say 4 or 5 gals if that's poss?.
                    You know you'll be tempted to hatch a few of the eggs- so watch your numbers if you intend to stay below 50!

Comment

did I not read somewhere that if you sell your eggs you mustnt have a cockerill in ith them, even from the garden gate?

Comment

I'd go for it. I was SO sorry that I had to let Fanny go, as we live on an estate and I couldnt have him making a noise. I was VERY happy that OverWyreGrower was willing to give him a new home - and a lovely one at that.
                        Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 15-01-2010, 06:17 PM.
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by motherhen View Post
                          Be very careful what can seem like a serene picture can turn into mayhem!! Unless you are going to breed, then what is the point, he will send your hens broody.
                          If you are going to go for it, take a few birds away and give him some to play with, rather than upset the whole flock.
                          I also agree with HayleyB if they have fav's they will bonk them more, the trouble is they tend to be the poor little hens at the bottom of the pecking order that get more attention, and are too weak to fend him off!!!
                          That's the sort of response I was hoping to get! Someone who knows, or has, at least, thought it through better than I have!

I have to confess it was a 'No' until I saw a picture...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oh he's gawjus. Yes, of course you must get him.
                            I'd like to vote another couple of times so you could get two more

I've not heard of anything whereby you can't run a cock with the hens if you're selling eggs at the garden gate.

Even if they're fertilised there won't be any embryos unless they're brooded.
                            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Gorgeous!

My cockerel is sooo friendly...and placid. He also hardly crows...at present - probably because his competition has gone to live with hilly!!
                              I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X