No announcement yet.

Cockerel advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its so muddy in the runs just now, you can tell which ones have been covered as they have mud on there backs!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      Its so muddy in the runs just now, you can tell which ones have been covered as they have mud on there backs!
      tut tut- your lot been doing a bit of mud wrestling???
      ( this is a family forum Snadge!!)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Snadge - do your cocks try it on with each other, in the absence of hens in their run? My lot are all really horny since the thaw set in, and the ones set aside for fattening are all leaping on each other. Lots of mad running around and squawking each morning. Yesterday one of the free ranging cocks decided to try and get at the bantams in their enclosure, and got attacked by one of the studs in the run. Unfortunately the stud got caught up in the fence and when I went on my afternoon rounds I found him dangling upside down in the netting, well and truly beaten up, covered in blood. He has recovered a bit overnight though and although looking awful, seems better today.

Gonna have to start eating more chicken!

Comment

You knew I'd vote Yes, didn't you? I love having a cockerel in with my girls and the neighbours seem quite happy too because although Jerry crows, his crow isn't as ear-piercing as some (yet!) All the flock are in together apart from the 10 youngest of Basil's offspring. Jerry will grow to around 13lbs and at 6 - 7 months he must already be about 7lbs if not more. He does seem to have his favourites but so far (touch wood) he's been quite gentle, being so much bigger than all the others, he doesn't need to push the girls down so hard (I think ). The plan for him is that once I've reduced the number of growing birds and re-homed some of the others, he'll go into a separate run with Shellingtons Splash Orpington girls and the Bluebelles, that'll give him 7. Well, that's the plan in my head anyway
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Snadger I love that Sussex, the Favs colours are lovely too.

Sounds like you're having him then G4, I'd give him your posh girls to play with separately.
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I had a beautiful Buff Wyandotte Banty Cockeral which I hatched from my eggs. At the time I had 18 hens and him, he was lovely at first but turned into a right so and so, not with me but with the other hens, he was always very aggressive with them, pulling out tail and wing feathers and dragging them around by the combs,and they towered over him. I would not have another, they seem much calmer and relaxed without him and I'd rather buy pulletts instead of breeding my own and risking more cockerals

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                tut tut- your lot been doing a bit of mud wrestling???
                ( this is a family forum Snadge!!)
                Chooks mud wrestling doesn't somehow have the same appeal as human chicks doing it. Can't imagine why???????
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Right!!!! Everyone on the Norty Step move up a bit for Snadger!! You bad lad Snadge
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Chooks mud wrestling doesn't somehow have the same appeal as human chicks doing it. Can't imagine why???????
                    are you thinking wot Im thinking?
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Never takes long for a thread to totally degenerate ... lol
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

You're just feeling smug RT, cos someone else got sent to the norty step before you

Actually being sensible I was going to ask G4 if he's a specific breed or a x of some kind.
                        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Dang Straight!

He's a Black Rock...supposedly
                          Last edited by RedThorn; 16-01-2010, 11:22 PM.
                          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Back to cocks....I think you're going to get one anyway,so not really worth me giving my two pennies worth!

Just thought I may have the ideal solution to if you work out that you need more than one.......BOO!!!!He's grown into such a cute looking little chappie and although we've toughened up and accepted that boys are for the pot....well it just wouldn't be right eating one that was kept warm by my own bosom!

We've got four,possibly five boys in the one run at the moment(number five is a Buff Orpington and we're still not sure).It's,at present,such a happy little run.The Bitchy girls have been put in their places and it's so rare to see any aggression....even Roo get's to eat with the rest of them.
                            I know it's possibly only a matter of time before they don't all get on,but then they'll be big enough for dinner.
                            I will add though that I don't enjoy being in there as much as I used to...although none of them have ever attacked us,I'm always watching my back and the Cream Legbar chappie always seems to be watching my back tooBeing winter the kiddies haven't been coming to the lottie as much,but I certainly wouldn't be happy to let them go in with them.

....if you do decide on getting more than one give me a shout.I'll try to get apic of the handsome chappie to make it so you can't say no!
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                              Do you have neighbours? If so, find out if they will object to early morning alarm calls!! Or you can do what I do and put my cockerels in a box at night and let them out at a "civilised" time in the morning.
                              Also, he may become aggressive towards you in which case keeping hens becomes a nightmare instead of a joy. And, if you have small children think very carefully, a fully-grown rooster can injure a small child!
                              having just experienced this i'd stear well clear

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
                                Dang Straight!

He's a Black Rock...supposedly
                                Just how perfect would a Black Rock and Norfolk Grey/Maran cross look together?
                                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X