fairly fed up

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fairly fed up

really fed up and rather sad, still havn't picked the hens due to firstly snow then not having got finished with the house, oh working long days dark early still, he doesn't want me to finish it anyway, have let it drift as scarlet back in lay but mr darcy has to go. please let me know your opinions, but he has become so aggressive that the kids are frightened to go out, he attacked my ten year old thru the window and made a deep peck hole in his head, he attacked me this morning when i was feeding him, he would not back down, i had to launch a kick at him which knocked him over but he still kept on, thankfully had boots on but he's flying up at my face i was shaking like a leaf not because of fear but because of kicking him, i'm a peace loving gal! should i try to place him with a breeder or something, he's such a beautiful chap, or should he be killed? if so how? once he's gone will review situation with scarlet, either give her away and forget it all or get just girls..... really miserable.

Which ever option is quicker for you really. Cockerels do tend to be spare sparts to some extend, however if there is a breeder out there that has lost a cockerel over the winter they may be willing to take hime on. What breed is he? You could try wwwbid4poultry.co.uk but would need to post a photo also.

He is not really nasty, just stating his ground. Some people say to pick up and cuddle an agresssive cockerel as they then see you as no threat but to be honest you have to put the kids safety first on this one and it can be a terrifying experience for them if he is a large bird

Comment

Sounds horrible.

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have thought a breeder would want to breed from an aggressive bird.

In the pot?

Comment

Oh,Poor you!!!
        I agree your children need to come first.At present the kiddies aren't coming to the lottie very often,so we are managing with our boys,although I think come Spring we're going to have to have a serious rethink about them.Obviously my first worry would be that they'd get hurt,but also,I'm so pleased with what a wonderful approach they have with the chooks...I'd hate for them to suddenly become scared of them.
        Don't feel bad about him,I think most of us would have acted in much the same way...I'm usually armed with a little spade when I go in with our boys...I haven't needed to use it but it makes me feel a little easier knowing I could defend myself.
        Last edited by di; 17-01-2010, 11:14 AM.
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I feel for you - and your children. My Sister and I were attacked by our Cockerel when we were young, and I've been scared of them ever since.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to get one or not

Sorry, don't know what to suggest!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Sorry hun but I really do think he has to go, preferably into the pot or oven. I know exactly where you're coming from, Pigletwillie witnessed Basil attacking me for the first time, he drew blood on my leg and I still have the scar I did give him a few weeks "grace" just so that I could get some fertile eggs to hatch, then got Shellington's OH to come over to do the deed. Someone else did all the plucking and dressing so when I put an oven-ready chicken in the freezer, I could detach myself quite easily from the thought of eating Basil (he was really delicious though ). It's not fair on you or on children to keep an aggressive cockerel even if he's only doing his job of protecting his ladies, it also takes away some of the fun of keeping chickens too doesn't it?
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Could the aggression be because he only has one lady to keep him occupied? I think he has to go if he's attacking children though. As you live in France I'm sure you will find a farmer willing to do the job of culling if you can't do it yourself. I had 3 beautiful Welsummer boys and found them impossible to rehome. I hated the thought of culling but once it had been expertly done by Hilary I felt so relieved. I couldn't eat one myself but hope they were eaten and enjoyed. Don't get rid of Scarlet, it's not her fault and I think you would regret it. Just get a couple more to keep her company and to take your mind off Mr D once he's gone.
              Last edited by frias; 17-01-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I would say, in this instance (and to use a gardening term) he is potbound!
                With dogs you normally have a fight or flight mentallity, with cockerels its a fight or FIGHT mentallity, they NEVER back down.
                The more you do to them the more they seem to keep coming back at you (bit like a drunken Geordie really!) thats probably why I have so much admiration and respect for mine.

Mine aren't around young kids though and if I had young kids I wouldn't have cockerels. They are coming into there 'rutting' season about now and will only get worse.

Do as Maureen says and use him for Sunday dinner.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

One Welsummer still in freezer, second one is due for dinner tonight, the first one was delish.
                  Mr D may just have 'not enough to do', but if he's having a go at children and adults alike, I'd say eat him! Definitely get some company for the lone hen ASAP, perhaps the same day if the house was OK for the pair, it will do for 3 hens. (and you can improve later, and maybe try again with a cockerel later)
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

its looking like an eskimo funeral to me (in the freezer)have to put the kids first,unless theyre mine
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Yes definitely put the children first. I would find someone to "deal with" Mr D for you if you cannot, and at least enjoy eating him. And don't give up on hen keeping. Get a couple more girls to keep Scarlet company and all will be well.

Comment

I have two cockerals and one once tried to attack me he got the underside of my welly for his troubles he never did it again. He just wouldn't give up and thats why the welly came into play. He avoids me know never thought he would do it again.

Comment

Thankyou so much for this much needed support! the darndest thing is that i'll be so sad to see him go because i do have alot of respect for him, i know i've not been fair because he's not got enough women around, i also think he is a brave and beautiful looking chap who'd give a fox a run for it's money i should imagine, my dogs give him a wide berth!! but but but don't want to pen him up, and then be scared everytime i have to go in the run, wanted to have hens i could pick up, and when i had scarlet in lately when she was poorly, she was quite happy to have a cuddle!! sorry, i know i'm a very wet and unserious chicken person!!! a woman nearby has left a message this evening (i put him on the on-line advertiser this morning, will check her tomorrow she might exchange for a couple of girls perhaps? hope he won't face the chop as rediculously i feel i've let him down! he's only being a cock!! my OH was a bit taken aback to read my advert declaring that i had a 'coq magnifique!!' to give away...

Comment

You're not being wet at all!!!
                            If you take a look at some of the threads from over the Summer,concerning hatching,eating etc...you'll see that many of us have faced the same dilema.
                            Some of us have managed to "do the deed" and surprised ourselves that we could.Others managed to find homes for their boys.
                            There's not a right or wrong,we're all different....and maybe we're all a little wet too!
                            Don't beat yourself up about it.Hope you have good news in the morning when you call the lady that left the message.xxx
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

..as far as I can tell Mr Darcy is leading a charmed life, the lady and her hubby are coming to collect him tonight,leaving me a little hen that's just in lay in exchange. Mr D will be on four hectares of fields with 40 hens!!! they lost their cock and think that Mr D is a fine looking chap, I warned them that he doesn't do cuddles, but they said they want a fine aggressive bird to do his job properly it's only five mins up the road so I can perhaps go and take a photo, will post here if I can. Have decided to stick with girls only now, saw a girlfriend yesterday who will have some buff orpingtons I can have, what are they like? anyway lets hope they are as good as their word, he's one helluva lucky boy if it works out for him, hope it does...
                              Last edited by mr darcy; 18-01-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X