No announcement yet.

Broooody!!!!! and Some french sounding chickens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What more eggs ...... it can get out of control you know - and I should know
    My Blog
    http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

ha ha tell me about it. Problem is it's so easy and I have the room

Comment

Hahaha - well you know where to look
        My Blog

Comment

went up tonight and there is two yeah

Comment

Yipeeeeeee! - thats all I have to say
            My Blog

Comment

Aww well done Wall. Theyre lovely little birds, I'm envious. (wanders off grumbling to self, why are all the good sellers at the other end of the country)
              Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

I know I keep bringing this thread back but I checked on them tonight and one is pure grey I must have seen that one and thought there was only one then took a picture of the other

Comment

He he, theyre playing with you..err wheres the pics of BOTH of them then

Comment

Oh yes- piccies please!!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

it will have to be the weekend as thats the only time I get up during daylight. I also have a male and female goose. I have a suspicion the female may be coming into lay the male has been a bit more standoffish recently normaly he backs down and walks away when I'm around. The last couple of days he has stood his ground. He doesn't attack he just wont move and hisses. I pressed the point with him last night as I was getting fed up and he did back down after I stroked him.
                      Last edited by walldanzig; 18-02-2010, 06:47 AM.

Comment

john seymour used to say the best way to deal with a hissing goose is to carry a dustbin lid and a walking stick. if he attacks at least you can cover your retreat with dignity!

what you going to do with the eggs? if they are fertile, hatch them as 4 week old goslings are worth around £12 around here. Thats the only way to make money from them mind you as they cost far too much to rear to table weight on a commercial basis!

you could sell the eggs as fertile. £2.50 each at the local market!
                        My Blog

Comment

Thanks Mick/Jennie

I inherited them from previous occupent not really sure what to do with them not sure if there is anywhere local to me that I could sell them is it worth sticking them on Ebay

Comment

You can merely protect yourself from a gander, but it is a stop-gap. Picking him up gets him thinking how much bigger you are, which helps if he is generally aggressive. If he is only aggressive when he has something needing protection, all you can do is avoid upsetting him any more than you have to, because he's doing what he is meant to do! The ganders I've had were never difficult with me, because I did make a practice of picking them up fairly often.
                            If he really comes at you and you are not 'armed', grab him by the head (hand around the back of the head, you don't want to strangle him) and lift him until his feet are off the ground, just for a few seconds. I've only had to do it twice, and neither gander tried again (one was newly acquired, the other was a specific situation with someone else's gander, and she told me about the technique!)
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Thanks Hilary he's not aggresive he is just standing his ground. Never thought about picking him up never really touch them should I be handling them do they like that???

Comment

Its the time of year I think. My gander Sid normally trundles round after me like a dog, or plonks himself down about 6ft from where Im working and watches. He's never nasty and I can stroke him and hand feed him, but his missus is a bit more wary and just chats away at me from a bit futher off. At the moment though he's getting really stroppy and has had a go at me, even bitten me (hurts too) I use his big water dish to shove him away, or grab his neck and walk him away from 'his' patch.
                                I'll have try picking him up hernia here I come
                                Doesn't help that we built them a new shed which is just outside the chooks loosebox, so he's protecting the little yard (ex bull-pen). Think I'll get OH to help me shift it to somewhere with less passing traffic.
                                I would still have another pair though if I could, they are so clever, and such good guard dogs.
                                What sort are yours Wall?.. and they are selling VERY well on ebay

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X