silly/sweet things chooks do

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly/sweet things chooks do

One of the chicks(no longer a chick) that hatched has a funny little habit. Every night, as the sun sets, as the others go into the coop, she comes down to the glass sliding door and pecks on the glass to get my attention to let me know that it's time for a cuddle and then I have to put her to bed. She even lifts her feet up as I put her in through the pop hole so that her feet don't get caught.

Was wondering how the chook's have trained the rest of you? Any cute little funny things like my one?
    Last edited by RedThorn; 19-01-2010, 08:24 PM.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Awwww - sweeeet

(Nosey) Rosie chats to me most of the time, but sometimes she runs around me chuntering furiously with her neck stretched upwards, and acting agitated - it means "Sit down Mum!"

So, obviously, I sit down and she hops up for a cuddle. She snuggles her head down into her shoulders and closes her eyes.

They're in the Greenhouse at the moment, clearing it out for me. Today, I went in to check for eggs and as I knelt down to pick one up, she hopped up onto my back and made herself comfortable!

No wonder I never get anything done!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

AaaaaaaaH RT how cute is that!
      One of mine comes thro the pop-hole and whizzes past me to the great outdoors when she knows she should be going to bed! When i catch her she just sits on my hand to be put to bed!

Comment

Sweet!!

We have one that follows Charlotte everywhere, ignores the rest of us, so all week when I'm doing chooks nothing - Sat and Sun when shes home wanders around everywhere she goes and whne she goes in it sits and waits and waits!!!
        My Blog
        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Moonshine sits on my foot so I have to pick her up and carry her round.
          And if I sit down, or bend down to tie a bootlace, Angelo climbs up my back and tries to pull the studs out of my ears (oww) sure he's a magpie not a leghorn.
          Cara the cream legbar holds long conversations with me.
          And Sid the gander comes up and 'ronk ronks' at me then takes me to his bath to show me its dirty, or not full enough.

They're so comical aren't they
          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Awww bless! What lovely stories.
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I have a 2 yo Welsummer (Henrietta) who I raised in the house when she and her brothers got rejected by the broody (the one and only time it has ever happened). She is still sooo tame and comes up to the fence every time I appear and I can just walk in and pick her up for a cuddle pretty much any time I like. She used to sit on my knee in the kitchen when smaller and be fed pieces of apple.

I've also found that cream legbar cocks are very precocious and tame easily. They were certainly very bold last summer and kept coming into the kitchen whenever the door was left open. The hens however seem much more nervous. (By the way I've still got a fab CL cock that I keep avoiding putting in the pot as he's just too beautiful - any takers?)

Lovely to hear about Charlotte's hen, Jennie. I bet that's not the only one either!

Comment

My lot just follow me round and investigate everything I do. Lulu my White Star has to go into the house, Mr C will order her out and she walks out and then looks at him from the bottom step. The minute she thinks she's not been spotted she legs it back in there!

Comment

It's too long since I was keeping anything but hybrid layers (and I was running a sheep farm when I had THOSE) to remember much by way of 'fun' behaviour, apart from Cuddles the Cochin cockerel, who would get himself up to 'chest level' in the barn and make a quiet comment, asking to be picked up. He usually did this when I was trying to get feed sorted for goats preparatory to milking, but he always got a short cuddle.
                  I did have one of my Black Rocks (the first chooks I ever owned, and about 7 years old by the time of this) whose preferred roosting place was perched on top of the billy goat!
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

While cleaning the chickens out, we'd often give little E some corn which would keep her busy and keep the chickens out of the house for a while. Now E is nearly 2, the chooks will walk around me and H, even if we're holding food to go and see E on the off chance she has some. It's kind of sweet.
                    Proud renter of 4.6 acres of field in Norfolk. Living the dream.

Please check out our story in the March 2014 issue of GYO magazine.

Follow us on Twitter @FourAcreFarming

Comment

Gorbash ( named after a dragon in a video, by my then small daughter ) he was her "pet" maran cockerel, we hatched him, used to sleep on her ponies neck!!
                      So sad we didn't have any photo's, I think because my daughter was always with her pony the cockerel didn't know he was a chicken!
                      Many years later she had a cat that used to drop down from a beam in the stable on to her horses bum and go to sleep on the rugged bottom! he didn't care, but when we were talking in another stable with a different horse and she dropped down on him all hell broke loose!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X