Eggy Atkins.........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggy Atkins.........

Found a new use for my eggy glut, I've put myself on an eggy Atkins diet.

I may as well scran the eggs and lose weight as well.

Last two mornings I've had a four egg omelletey thingy to myself for my morning break at 10.00am.
    We've only got a microwave at work so I've got one of those plastic microwaveable omellette thingies which hold four eggs easily.
    I've just given 4 dozen to my daughter and family so the egg mountain isn't too bad at the mo.
    No ill effects up til now with the diet and I'm not eggbound!!!! So it looks like four eggs for brekkie each day from now on!
    Anyone any ideas what I can chuck (sic) in my omelettes to liven them up a bit?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Now, now - when are you going to take my advice about preserving your eggs ?- icinglass is the wartime method and I'd like to hear of some other grapes who have tried it (goes crosseyed with the effort of thinking about this one)
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I did waterglass (I used to get confused with isinglass too) a couple of years. It meant eggs almost as fresh as shop eggs all through the winter.

You can put ham, cheese, mushrooms or herbs in an omelette without breaching Atkins rules, or you can cook the eggs in any other way you like (scrambled where you have to use a microwave), just don't add bread, potatoes or any other starchy stuff.

Once past the 'induction phase' (2 weeks) you could have any veg you like (apart from starchy ones) to accompany your assorted omlettes, or finely chopped to flavour them (further thought, celery is strong flavoured and shouldn't be a problem for Atkins in sufficient quantity to make the omelette 'different').
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Snadger - what about some ham or mushrooms or even both. You could put in some chopped onion, peppers and toms and have a sort of frittata thing. A bit of cooked bacon and sausage and mushrooms and have a breakfast omlette. A bit of cooked chicken, sweetcorn, choriizo or perperami or maybe just plain chese or cheese and onion - oh the list is endless I never run out of ideas for omlettes!!
        My Blog
        http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          Now, now - when are you going to take my advice about preserving your eggs ?- icinglass is the wartime method and I'd like to hear of some other grapes who have tried it (goes crosseyed with the effort of thinking about this one)
          Why would I want to preserve eggs when I can have as many fresh eggs as I like daily? Surely this would only be compounding the issue as when the spring finally arrives I will have even more eggs!

Maybe the isinglass storage was a good idea in wartime, before hybrids were developed that could lay 320 eggs per year, all year, as they do now!
          Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere about storing eggs in garden lime............sorry, no fancy for that either!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well, I did offer!
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Just look at the adverts at the bottom of this thread.....you mention Atkins and they all jump on the bandwagon!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well, I did offer!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well, I did offer!
                  come on ..remind us how to do it please!!!!

Snadge- cream and chives and chilli with your scrambled eggs- oh and sprinkled with fresh basil leaves- served with a curled rasher of bacon or smoked fish.
                  YUM..yup -I did enjoy Atkins for the first month and then lost the will to live!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    come on ..remind us how to do it please!!!!

Snadge- cream and chives and chilli with your scrambled eggs- oh and sprinkled with fresh basil leaves- served with a curled rasher of bacon or smoked fish.
                    YUM..yup -I did enjoy Atkins for the first month and then lost the will to live!
                    I've done Atkins before and did manage to lose a couple of stones. It also gives you a heck of a vitality boost living on pure protein!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

OK, OK just stop bragging. This time last year I was getting 6 out of 6. Today zilch!

Comment

I'd worry about the cholesterol I'm afraid. Mind you, I have got high readings (not the "bad" cholesterol) so I am careful (when I remember ). If I really HAD to eat all the eggs myself in omelettes, then it'd be bacon and mushrooms. It's multiple cake-baking here, and the freezer is filling up nicely

Don't all those eggs make you "windy"?
                        Last edited by MaureenHall; 20-01-2010, 09:47 PM.
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                          OK, OK just stop bragging. This time last year I was getting 6 out of 6. Today zilch!
                          The reason I've got eggs, I think,is because I've got a good mixture of oldies and newbie birds!
                          Young birds (yearlings)are giving me 10 out of 10 and oldies (3 to 4 yrs old) are giving me 8 from 15!
                          Last edited by Snadger; 20-01-2010, 09:48 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post

Don't all those eggs make you "windy"?
                            Surprisingly not? Thats probably because I've always eaten eggs to a lesser extent so maybe I've become aclimatised to them?

Did I not read somewhere in an Atkins book that somehow cholesterol from protein wasn't an issue?

Sod it anyway, I lead a very active lifestyle, don't drink, don't take sugar or salt, eat more than five a day, take multivits and cod liver oil............if the cholesterol gets me, so be it!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                              I'd worry about the cholesterol I'm afraid.
                              "Eggs do contain a type of cholesterol ...But [it] has much less effect on the level of cholesterol in our blood than the amount of saturated fat we eat.

If you are eating a balanced diet, you don't need to cut down on eggs

If you need to reduce the cholesterol level in your blood, the most important thing is to cut down on saturated fat " Food Standards Agency - Eat well, be well - Eggs and pulses
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X