moult over?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moult over?

one of our blackrocks is just finishing her moult,even though she is not even 12 months old yet,she looked like an exbat, as she seemed to lose her feathers in the coldest spell this part of scotland has seen in recorded history,she has now started to look more like a normal bird,my query is,how long before she starts laying again?.all the other birds have layed throughout the cold spell,but she decided to moult early,any ideas why?

I am so glad I'm not the only one Buffs. One of my Marans looks more oven-ready than my baldest ex-Batt - she's got little Hedgehog spikes all over her head at the moment, no tail, and odd feathers sticking out weirdly all over the place. Ginger, my prettiest ex-Batt is in no better state. They started to moult as soon as the snow came!

I really hope they start laying again soon...
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Same here, at least two of mine have no feathers on their undersides at all. One looks like she's been plucked.

Laying is very sporadic, one egg a day from 6 birds at the moment.
      Last edited by pdblake; 22-01-2010, 02:48 PM.
      Urban Escape Blog

Comment

One of mine, at only 28 weeks and after two weeks laying, moulted completely underneath (thereby earning herself the sobriquet of Myrtle No Knicks) and has also been broody since 14th December.

A second girl moulted just a little underneath but is still laying everyday and the third hasn't moulted at all and is laying every other day.

Chooks is a mystery and a delight IMHO
        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

I'm getting 10-12 eggs a day from my lot, they seem to be taking forever to come back into lay. The five baldies from Saturday are in trauma so not eggspecting anything from the poor girls for a couple of weeks, hope they put all their efforts into feathers really..
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Same again

Just as we thought the cold spell was over,last night we had a freezing fog/mist,which seems colder than it was before,probably just the amount of dampness in the air,i am so looking forward to the spring and i bet the chooks would agree with that....oooooh to be outside and feel the sun on your back...bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
              One of mine, at only 28 weeks and after two weeks laying, moulted completely underneath (thereby earning herself the sobriquet of Myrtle No Knicks) and has also been broody since 14th December.

A second girl moulted just a little underneath but is still laying everyday and the third hasn't moulted at all and is laying every other day.

Chooks is a mystery and a delight IMHO
              My girls are also moulting except the 26 week old Welsummer who hasn't started laying yet. I wonder if Myrtle hasn't really moulted, just pulled her feathers out underneath because she's broody. My broody did that to keep the eggs warmer.

Comment

the bird that has moulted has become a lot more friendly,less liable to run away.doesnt mind being stroked,but not lifted up for a cuddle,so,progress of sorts,as long as it lasts,all she needs to do now is lay,then i will know she is totally back to normal.her sister is the bossy one, who does not like me going near any of "her" gang,so i cant get too close or she does her little "keep off" dance,i suppose i shouldnt let her hear me laughing at her..obviously a sensitive soul.
                Last edited by BUFFS; 23-01-2010, 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

A couple of my girls seem to be in moult too. I have moved the run round today so they have got some fresh grass and some more raised beds to run over and fertilise.
                  I have taken some photos but I can't get them on here
                  The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

I have 3 girls in partial moult at the moment, they look really tatty!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X