Domestic Fowl Trust

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic Fowl Trust

Has anyone visited? If so, what did you think?
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Yeah we went a couple of times. It was good to look at all the different breeds and the different sizes they grow too etc. Take some wellies as it can get quite muddy round there. There is a shop with some poultry related bits and pieces for sale and a very interesting museum which is really interesting. All in all it was a good experience, the only thing that puzzled me was why do they keep the birds that are for sale in such small cages ? All the others are free to roam and look really happy and healthy.
    The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay giant View Post
      why do they keep the birds that are for sale in such small cages ?
      Perhaps so that the birds don't have room to flap and damage their wings? Just a guess
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Had a look at the website and thinks it's a good job I live so far away! However I am going to Birmingham in May and it doesn't look that far off the motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
          Had a look at the website and thinks it's a good job I live so far away! However I am going to Birmingham in May and it doesn't look that far off the motorway.
          Avril - if you've got time the Wernlas collection is well worth a visit when you go to Birmingham. It's at Ludlow. Take lotsa money

Comment

wernlas is ok. the last time we went it was the end of the season and the birds were looking tired. sue is right about the money though! £39 for a light sussex!

i bought some day old chicks of varying sorts once from there - cost me £45 for half a dozen! and they dont live any longer.............
            My Blog
            http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Wow, £39 for a LS is a rip-off! Even for a really good specimen.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay giant View Post
                Yeah we went a couple of times. It was good to look at all the different breeds and the different sizes they grow too etc. Take some wellies as it can get quite muddy round there. There is a shop with some poultry related bits and pieces for sale and a very interesting museum which is really interesting. All in all it was a good experience, the only thing that puzzled me was why do they keep the birds that are for sale in such small cages ? All the others are free to roam and look really happy and healthy.
                You were right about the need for wellies! The girl said "Its a bit muddy". A bit muddy?!!! What an understatement! We were ankle deep in mud, in our normal boots. Not impressed, as the ground was that bad we couldnt walk round most of the grounds. I thought where they kept the birds for sale in the small cages was too small, and there was a strong "poo" smell. I thought the museum was good, but having been to the Wernlas collection thought that set up was much better. I realise it was January, but it was September when we went to the Wernlas collection where they had had a lot of rain as well. Maybe it would be better in the Summer.
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X