Violette in lay!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violette in lay!

little Violette came into lay yesterday so now two little eggies side by side in nestbox! simple pleasures! now that everyone settled, more girls to come! so pleased we found home for Mr Darcy, but might get another smaller cock on sunday, will do a friendly test first!
    Last edited by mr darcy; 29-01-2010, 08:09 AM.

Well bless little Violette! She must be feeling very settled!
    Good luck with your new girls when they come. I think I'd be wary of another cockerel after your previous experience! Maybe you'll have better luck this time

Comment

Stick to the girlies - us girlies won't let you down!
      My 4 are now settled back into laying one a day after the shorter days cut production slightly.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'd rather stick to les filles but don't I need a cockerell if they free range? untill now since mr Darcy leaving I've kept them in the run (scarlet very miffed to start with!) but i'd like to let them out when new girls have been acclimatised to old girls and got their bearings, because they had their little chicken world in and around our garden if you see what i mean, dust bath under the conifers, (hilarious how Mr D used to stand guard over a bathing scarlet!!)vue point and great scratching on top of the horse poo heap, snails in the vineyard,sunbathing under the bird table, worms in the artichokes, breadcrumbs at the backdoor at about 1pm (do chooks wear watches? they are really punctual!) etc etc I could guess where they were depending on time of day, so i'd like to let them out, but would they behave themselves without the patriachal eye? and would they be safe? thing is Mr D was dead scarey but that was great against potential chook killers, what now?

Comment

It is true that cocks will watch over the hens, but I don't think they would really be able to stand up to a serious predator like a fox. If the girls have bonded well now, then there is no reason why you cannot let them out to free range. Only give them their treats when they return to the sound of corn rattling in a pot then whenever you need to find them, go and do the "magic rattle" - it never fails with my lot!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
            It is true that cocks will watch over the hens, but I don't think they would really be able to stand up to a serious predator like a fox. If the girls have bonded well now, then there is no reason why you cannot let them out to free range. Only give them their treats when they return to the sound of corn rattling in a pot then whenever you need to find them, go and do the "magic rattle" - it never fails with my lot!
            your right! thanks for that advice, will try this weekend

Comment

Well done Violette. Please can you get her to have a word with my Rose as she is now 27 weeks old and shows no sign of wanting to lay.

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                Well done Violette. Please can you get her to have a word with my Rose as she is now 27 weeks old and shows no sign of wanting to lay.
                yes i'll ask her to phone Rose later or perhaps she can get her on MSHEN messanger?
                Last edited by mr darcy; 29-01-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr darcy View Post
                  hilarious how Mr D used to stand guard over a bathing scarlet!!
                  He was perving, not guarding

and would they be safe? thing is Mr D was dead scarey but that was great against potential chook killers, what now?
                  Just cos he scared you and the littlies doesn't mean he could take on fox, bear & lord knows what else

What about getting a bantam cockerel? Something laid back like a Pekin, Silkie or a Cochin? Richmond or Bramble Poultry can best advise on that I reckon
                  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
                    He was perving, not guarding

Just cos he scared you and the littlies doesn't mean he could take on fox, bear & lord knows what else

What about getting a bantam cockerel? Something laid back like a Pekin, Silkie or a Cochin? Richmond or Bramble Poultry can best advise on that I reckon
                    poor Mr D, but yes you are right because OH pointed out to me that when I tell anyone about Mr D I indicate his size as being about level with my waist
                    and and, no bears here 'part from teddies....

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post

Having a bantam is no guarantee he will be laid back. It's breed dependent rather than size dependent. However, if you have full size hens, you need a full size cock to cover them. A bantam will manage, but because he will need do a lot more scrabbling to get aboard, he is more likely to damage the hens. If you want another cock, try a full size breed known for its placid temperament but really, your hens will be just fine on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                        Having a bantam is no guarantee he will be laid back. It's breed dependent rather than size dependent. However, if you have full size hens, you need a full size cock to cover them. A bantam will manage, but because he will need do a lot more scrabbling to get aboard, he is more likely to damage the hens. If you want another cock, try a full size breed known for its placid temperament but really, your hens will be just fine on their own.
                        thanks for this! i've just let them out, they seem fine!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X