People and their attachments to their hens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People and their attachments to their hens

I have had three hens since last autumn, and although I find them silly they really are dumb! I haven't got any of these affection feelings towards them that a lot of other people do. I wouldn't hesitate to kill one for the table; I bought them and set them up to provide eggs after all.

Having never really had pets (other than some strange periods when I was young and mum wanted things such as rats, canaries and fish) maybe I'm missing something?

I think if they were smarter and anything even approaching affectionate it would be different, but they don't know where they are, don't know what they're doing, don't learn, don't shut up when I'm in the shed next to their run, and don't like cuddles. So what is it?

Just looking to hear some stories from hen lovers really, hope they don't mind my cold-hearted sentiments!
    Last edited by glasgowdan; 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM.

I don't mind your cold-hearted sentiments at all, you got your chooks to serve a purpose and not to fuss over and treat as pets. I'm right in the "I love my chooks" camp and I'm really sad when one dies, and I fuss over them when they're ill. However, any surplus boys that I raise are definitely for the table so I'll be trying not to get emotionally attached to them. We're all different aren't we? After all, I can't stand dogs, but I'd never condemn anyone for having them as pets
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

sorry i don't understand you at all i couldn't be MORE opposite to you

Comment

Originally posted by glasgowdan View Post
        I have had three hens since last autumn, and although I find them silly they really are dumb! I haven't got any of these affection feelings towards them that a lot of other people do. I wouldn't hesitate to kill one for the table; I bought them and set them up to provide eggs after all.

Having never really had pets (other than some strange periods when I was young and mum wanted things such as rats, canaries and fish) maybe I'm missing something?

I think if they were smarter and anything even approaching affectionate it would be different, but they don't know where they are, don't know what they're doing, don't learn, don't shut up when I'm in the shed next to their run, and don't like cuddles. So what is it?

Just looking to hear some stories from hen lovers really, hope they don't mind my cold-hearted sentiments!
        I am exactly the same, but mine dont annoy me as such in that they dont make any fuss or noise, sometimes they are quite funny but I dont consider them as a pet.
        Last edited by TEB; 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I guess your chooks aren' t that stupid glasgowdan! You only get out what you put in and that goes for affection as well as food!

Comment

I see my chooks as one step closer to self sufficiency.
            I don't pick them up and cuddle them or give them names but they are interesting to watch and they aren't as thick as people make them out to be.
            Mine come running as soon as they see me but run the other way when strangers approach.
            My favourites are the big cockerels, which I reared from eggs. They always get some grain direct from my hand after I've fed their laydees.

I can be hard hearted and have butchered a few but in the main I like them for what they are, egg layers for the laydees, who will eat anything and give me free manure.
            The cockerels will hopefully help give me some interesting hatchlings, and a Sunday dinner or two.

Best decision I ever made getting some chooks and apart from everything else I sometimes just like to take a pew in the sunshine and sit and watch their antics!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Same as you Snadger, I just the fact that they are now part of my garden from being entertaining in it to what they put into it ie poop! Having said that mine do have names, there's only three, and I do pick them up now and again and I was so upset when they were injured last year in the dog attach- I couldn't get home quick enough!
              I think the expression -nice but dim suits quite well - when describing chooks.
              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
                Same as you Snadger, I just the fact that they are now part of my garden from being entertaining in it to what they put into it ie poop! Having said that mine do have names, there's only three, and I do pick them up now and again and I was so upset when they were injured last year in the dog attach- I couldn't get home quick enough!
                I think the expression -nice but dim suits quite well - when describing chooks.
                hihi know alot of folks like that!!

Comment

What breed do you have Dan? Your description of your girls couldn't be any more different from my girls...all of mine are affectionate, intelligent, funny...very friendly, and most definitely know where they are...and when to be there!

I love my girls...and boy....I couldn't kill one for the table, but I didn't ever start keeping hens for food (veggie)...there is absolutely nothing wrong with being able to cull a bird to feed your family.

Perhaps it's the breed...or just you! Either way...as long as you and your birds are safe and happy...it's all good!
                  I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Bephlam

What breed do you have, they sound like the sort I would have if allowed?!
                    Slowly takes it!

Comment

Originally posted by glasgowdan View Post
                      Have you ever thought that maybe your chooks are trying to train you glasgowdan?
                      Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I haven't got chickens these days, but when I did have, the classification was definitely 'not pets, but quite good fun'. I only had one really 'pet' type, a Cochin cockerel I named Cuddles, which sums up his character perfetly!
                        They all knew to come running for food, but no, they weren't pets. If I was ever keeping chooks again, I would avoid getting TOO fond of them anyway. I couldn't handle the sort of feelings some Grapes obviously get over the death of one, so I wouldn't get that attached.
                        Last edited by Hilary B; 04-02-2010, 08:32 AM. Reason: typos
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

...and a funny little story for you...

When I worked for Forsham Cottage Arks, I used to help out manning stands at shows. This particular morning, we caught three little POL Warren hens to take with us, and on checking the nestbox, discovered it contained two eggs. How lovely.

When we arrived at the show, we set up the ladies food and water, and decanted them into the ark. They seemed fine, and none the worse for their little journey.

After about half an hour, one of the hens seemed to be very unsettled, she was pacing up and down and chuntering away to herself.

Tracey and I looked at each other and said 'What on earth is up with her?' Then Tracey gasped 'Oh, we haven't let the ramp down'.

I quickly released the string holding the ramp closed, and this little hen hitched up her skirts, dashed up the ramp and promptly laid her egg in the nestbox - even though it wasn't actually her normal ark, she still knew where she was supposed to lay, and the poor little mite must have been crossing her legs for ages waiting to be let in. Bless her!!
                          Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 04-02-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Awww great story PB! I've just spent at least half an hour with mine. I sat on my stool in their run and had a chat to them.

One of the Copper Marans, I've named her Chatterbox for obvious reasons, as soon as she sees me, she stops whatever she's doing and comes running over to me. She doesn't stop chuntering on at me the whole time I'm there. I picked her up for a cuddle today, she hates it and wasn't impressed, but I'm going to persevere. The ex-Batts are the friendliest though; they fight to get on my lap sometimes.
                            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hhmmm, I can see both sides to this!

We have birds for eggs, which are more like pets; and birds for meat, who we don't name and try not to get too attached to.

We didn't name the turkeys, and the cockerels in my polytunnel (for eating) have no names, and are collectively referred to as 'The Boys'. Of course, they have the same care and attention given to them as the girls and boys in the egg-pen; but I don't cuddle them etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X