Tail Down

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Down

In a poorly chicken is the tail always being down a sure sign of being egg bound or just another sign to say it's poorly. One of girls was very lethargic yesterday and had heavy diarrhoea but we've given her the recommended medication and some nutri-drops and she seems slightly less lethargic but still poorly. We don't want to steam her in her present weak condition unless it's really necessary.

Thanks for any help

What age is she? etc. It's hard to tell from a brief description...but it could be many things. When my chickens haunch up and look all puffy and lethargic I keep a close eye on them, ensure they're getting food and water (bring them indoors if required) and check for all the obvious things it may be...impacted crop, eggbound, injury, mites, etc. However, if it proves to be none of these things it may be that she's coming in to lay...for the first time or after a break from laying because of the cold? Or...of course, it could be something entirely different.

It's very hard to tell...but I'd give her a few days of TLC and treatment...I wouldn't put her out her misery yet...often these things pass as quickly as they came on...with no apparent reason for the upset.

Keep us posted!
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

One of mine came down with the tail down, hunched neck symdrome. She wasn't eating much and her poos were watery (hope no-one's eating at the moment!) I brought her indoors for an afternoon and hand fed her some treats and pellets. She picked up considerably over the course of the afternoon. I think if they feel a bit under the weather they can't be bothered with the tussle of life in the chicken run trying to elbow their way in for food. I brought her in again for a second short session the next day by which time she was getting naughty!

Sometimes it's something that will clear up on its own but they may need a bit of warmth and tempting. Good luck with her - keep us posted.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X