Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing new Chickens, what have i done!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing new Chickens, what have i done!!

Hi everyone, I need your help!

I've been keeping a couple of speckledy hybrid chickens for about 9ish months, never had any major problems, one goes broody quite easily but thats it. They've been fine all through the winter, laying 5 or 6 times a week and not losing any feathers.

So I thought i'd ruin it all!!

This morning I went and got 2 POL light sussex. The 1 year old Speckledys pecked them into the coop where they then spent the day, if they tried to get out, they got pecked back in. When i checked on them tonight the Speckledys had put themselves to bed as usual but the Light Sussex weren't allowed in, they were huddled together at the entrance of the coop.

Have I done something really stupid by introducing these girls?
    Mixing older and younger birds?

Or

Is it all going to be fine in the fullness of time?

Regards,

I had the exact sme thoughts when I bought home 3 ex batts and tried to introduce them and I had a seperate coop for them to go in so they could see each other.

I'm actually a believer now that perhaps having the extra coop actually added to my problems and unsettled the new ones when I tried to move them to the big coop.

Some tips I have:

When putting the new ones to bed, the existing 3 would sit right by the pop hole and go ballistic when the new ones were put in - so I now try and put the new ones in first and let the older ones in last.

If the old ones are in already I put my arm in, so they peck me and the new ones will go in without too much argy bargy - this way the new ones do not feel afraid of being pecked

ensure that there are loads of food and water bowls, the older ones will try and keep the new ones from drinking/eating and therefore there may be squabbles.

Do not be alarmed if the older ones peck at the new ones, but ensure you keep an eye on them all to ensure no blood is drawn. my new one had her comb pecked and blood drawn and I've had to place some vaseline on it to protect it from further pecks. this has healed now but I do a quick check.

Basically the older ones are showing them who is boss, if the run is open to the elements it may be best to have some shelter so that the new ones if they are bullied have somewhere warm/dry to concregate.

My 2 ex batts (I lost one) and now reasonably happy with the 3 existing ones, but they know their place and will get pecked if they try and gain access to the treats, or to the nesting box when its not their turn. If they look the wrong way at one of the other chucks they willl be told.

Things will settle, and right now I doubt you will believe it.

As a last result, if they are getting pecked continuously, then try getting some stop pecking fluid, it stinks and I didnt like using it, but if you do, I would suggest doing all the birds, this way they all smell the same. I have not used it lately and did so only for a week.

Depending on how big oyu run is, give them plenty to do, perhaps hang apples or lettuce up from the roof so they are fixed on the food rather than on each other

Anyway I hope my experience will help, although i'm sure some of the more experienced people will come along and give you some sound advice.

Comment

Of course you've not ruined things...you've simply upset the harmony of the group, for a few weeks. When introducing new girls (which I have done often...including lone birds, which is a no no technically) I always find it's best if you pop the newbies in with the existing girls at night...after your girls have gone to roost. They are much calmer during this time, and this tends to limit the confrontation. Dependant on the behaviour the next day I let them all out as normal...hoping they'll blend in nicely...which sometimes works quite nicely...leaving the odd peck and squabble, but nothing drastic. If however they begin to get nasty, or draw blood...then you must remove (or separate) them immediately to prevent the girls becoming curious and causing some damage.

You'll find that the whole thing will settle down within a few weeks...if you feel it's a bit nasty, then separate them during the day...just to stop them making contact, but keep them within eyeshot of the others.

Eventually..things will return to the harmonious environment it once was!

Enjoy your new girls...
      I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for your time and advise, i was really worried that things would never settle down. They seemed slightly more confident this morning although still being chased. As i was in the garden all afternoon I let them all out to free range, then they could get there own space if they needed it. They split up into there 2 groups (old and Young) and looked like they had the time of there lives!

Thanks again.

Comment

i introduced new girls to my existing ladies & after a couple of days all the noise died down and they are all quite happy now, I did have a water spray handy if things got a little out of hand and gave the perpatrator a good squirt
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Thanks from me to, I'm hoping to add two to my flock of three in March when I have a week off work. I now have a plan of action in my head!
            Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

If you decide to keep them 'in sight' for a while before introducing, put the NEW hens in the permanent place and the older ones in temporary quarters. That way when you put them together in permanent home the 'newbies' are on 'home territory' and it balances out.
              The other option is to add one more newcomer than the number you already have.
              [What am I saying? Some people here don't need ANY encouragement to double their flock!!!!]
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I put my 5 new ex batts out with the other girls today (33 of them) for the first time, they are seriously not happy but I know given a week or so they'll be fine
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I actually chuckled when I read this. They turn into physcos dont they? Really really mean it does settle down I have never got involved they are sorting out a social order I leave them to it.

Comment

Yup, mine have been together about three weeks now, and they're still squabbling. Nothing serious, and sometimes it's the newbies doing the attacking, so they're obviously feeling stronger!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

with my hens,it was the top bird who would not stop pecking and chasing the newbies,so after being given advice,i used to spray the bolshy one with a hand sprayer filled with vinegar if i caught her bullying,after this the other birds kept away from her, and she would sulk,after three days of this the bullying just stopped,she would just moan at them.they are now bigger than her and sometimes knock her out of the way to get to the treats(revenge is sweet).now they are all in the same mob..the best description.

Comment

Just thought i'd update you on how things are.

Well, as you all said everythings have settled down. They're all getting on well together and life is peaceful once again!

Thanks again for all putting my mind at rest.

Comment

excellent news, I thought it would, although expect the odd spat now and again. My Henna is a Bu&&er and tends to wander round and pick on them as they eat and push them out the way still, but they know now to get out her way and ignore her.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X