Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hen Houses...Recommendations sought

Hello,

Our 6 laydee's need a new hen house sometime soon, as their current one has been bashed about a bit, and I plan to splash out on a new one soon (2-3 months)

Don't really have time to build one, so will be looking at buying one, though could assemble.

Looking for quality build, with room for upto 6 hens (we have light sussex, sasso, rhode island size birds). Would like to see one first, so south east england ideal, but will travel to get a good one!

Any recommendations?

Ian

I made mine myself but I think the best shop bought ones I have seen were at the Domestic Fowl Trust in near Evesham.
    You can view them online I think.
    The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

I'll be getting a Forsham Cottage Arks 'Lenham' when I get my Buff Orpingtons later this year. I used to work for Forsham and really can't fault the build quality or materials. Yes, they are pricier than many, but they are built to last. They have distributors all over the country, infact you should be able to see them at your local Scats.
      Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 12-02-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I'd go for a shed. Loads of room, and you can get inside to clean etc.
        Adapting a shed is not difficult (making the perch is the hardest bit).
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Great care must be taken with sheds they are best left to the lawnmower, if you think how hot they are when you open the door in the summer this is too hot for the hens, this encourages redmite particularly if it has a felt roof, these can be very debilitating to the poor hens, also most sheds have a window which will be too light.
          Understanding the wants of different types of hen, perching, nesting boxes and the all important ventilation can cause a lot less heartache if you get it right from the start.

Comment

Not really able to have a shed due to planning restrictions :-(. And I totally understand motherhen's comment about the nasty redmite - this is something else we'd like to avoid if possible, as we had a really bad case of it in our current coop.

Do like the Forsham ones too, but being an Ark, would not really fit into our current setup, where we have a really long fox proof run (as fox proof as we can be! - Mr Fox hasn't got in yet), and just need a new coop at the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by icornish View Post
              Do like the Forsham ones too, but being an Ark, would not really fit into our current setup, where we have a really long fox proof run (as fox proof as we can be! - Mr Fox hasn't got in yet), and just need a new coop at the end of it.
              Hi icornish, I'll be having a similar set up to you, and the Lenham is a more traditional 'house' shaped coop.

Comment

I bought one from PandT Poultry in Wales. You can google them. I got the authomatic opener from them too. Very pleased with both.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

"eco" Houses

Has anyone used one of these from Oakland Poulty?
                  Oaklands Poultry Houses | UK | Our Poultry Houses

Looks quite solid, but it seems it does not have a removable tray... how does this sort of plastic fare in the summer?
                  Sorry, more questions at the moment whilst I try to work out what to get for my laydees...

Comment

Originally posted by motherhen View Post
                    Great care must be taken with sheds they are best left to the lawnmower, if you think how hot they are when you open the door in the summer this is too hot for the hens, this encourages redmite particularly if it has a felt roof, these can be very debilitating to the poor hens, also most sheds have a window which will be too light.
                    Understanding the wants of different types of hen, perching, nesting boxes and the all important ventilation can cause a lot less heartache if you get it right from the start.
                    I really don't see any unavoidable reason why a shed would be any hotter than a 'made for the purpose' chicken house (many of which are simply undersized sheds with a few expensive adaptations). No shed I've ever owned has been especially hot, windows can be covered (if you consider that vital, my chooks were never EVER in anything darker than a shed would be, and they didn't seem bothered by it). Redmite can be treated wherever it may be, and having the space to get inside may encourage making the effort more often, and ventilation is important whatever you are doing (you may find many posts from me about the need to let air get to all sorts of things).
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I inherited a shed with two boarded up windows that had been used as a chook house. The chap gave up cos the chooks weren't laying.
                      I unboarded the windows so the chooks could see the sunrise, installed high level roosts so they could see out the windows and hey presto, chooks are now happy and laying there heads off!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

hi there, until recently I had a nice flock of 40 ex battery hens which lived quite happily in 3 forsham arks at night with a nice big pen to scratch about in during the day, I had them for almost 4 years until I had to close down our school farm. They were very sturdy & well made. They were also easy to clean & maintain. If I were ever able to get some more hens I would most definately buy some more forsham arks.

Comment

Probably get shot down in flames here but have you looked at the eglu or cube from Omlet.co.uk I know they look expensive but for ease of cleaning and security and the fact they are twin walled so keep warm in winter cool in summer I personally feel they are worth every penny they also hold there price if you decide to re sell or upgrade

Comment

Egg-Cubes

Have indeed looked at Egg-Cubes, but they are a very expensive option...

Comment

Evening! We bought one from Flyte So Fancy, well built, easy to clean, very happy with it.
                              Jo

time, patience, and perseverance will accomplish all things.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X