Overnight cockledoodledooing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight cockledoodledooing

A silly question probably, but is it common for cockerals to crow throughout the night?
    Thought they didnt crow when it was dark? As you know, no chooks of my own, but my neighbour has hatched 2/3 handsome lads now strutting their stuff. For some reason I often wake up about 3am at the moment and when Im down stairs I can hear the crowing? Doesnt bother us, just curious! Was wondering if its beacuse theres a few cocks. All the new hens and cocks are in one coop, the older ex battery girls are currently in a seperate coop?
    http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Hi Jack

Yes they do unfortunately. I learned this lesson the hard way, with me concerned about the neighbours out at 3am try to shut the buggar up, pj's and torch in hand! He is no longer in residence with us as much as a lovely boy that he was!

Comment

Dont mind it at the moment, as its not waking us. BUt in the summer with the windows open.... hmmm not so sure!
      Quite like it really at the moment any way. NOt sure whether the 3 cockerals will go into competition with each other tho
      They are very handsome boys tho! Having always been a city girl makes me feel like I'm on holiday!
      http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

I have always been able to hear mine crowing in the night (not from the bedroom but from the bathroom when I get up for a pee). They seem to have a quiet spot from roost time to 2 am ish, then start up from then on really. Weird given it's dark then but hey, we all know chooks are mad really!

Comment

Mine only really crows when we let the dogs out for a wee....usually crows about 4 times, then stops again. It is odd...the other three I had took to crowing at all hours...probably competing with each other. It's a lovely sound...but not sure everyone appreciates it.
          I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine seem to be quiet between 11pm and 3am.
            End of story!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would have loved to have kept him, but I don't think my neighbours would. It didn't bother me, maybe I was waiting for him to crow in the middle of the night and would wake myself up. I need a small place in the country somewhere I think, I qite liked the sound of him

Comment

I love the sound of mine, and fortunately we are in the middle of nowhere, so no neighbours to bother. Just as well as we have 11 permanent cocks and a slowly reducing number of fatteners.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                  I love the sound of mine, and fortunately we are in the middle of nowhere, so no neighbours to bother. Just as well as we have 11 permanent cocks and a slowly reducing number of fatteners.
                  I would love to be in the middle of nowhere! If we had the money to move in the current climate, we would not think twice about selling up and moving, don't mind the hard work doing a place up!
                  Last edited by MrsC; 14-02-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

mine crow whenever disturbed and there are a few in the neighbourhood when one starts they all go its like a competition

Comment

Originally posted by walldanzig View Post
                      mine crow whenever disturbed and there are a few in the neighbourhood when one starts they all go its like a competition
                      That's exactly what it is! Crowing, like birdsong, is a statement of ownership of the territory, so if another cockerel hears it, he's going to reply "No it's not YOURS it's MINE!" and they will all be trying to make the most noise.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

ha ha and they do bloody nightmare

Comment

used to be a milk roundsman, and where i delivered was mostly villages, and starting off at about 3-3.30, most of the time i was around before the local poultry woke up,but on a summers morning,with the sun just rising ,the cocks would start and it made the day seem magical,everything in its place and a wonderful world to be in,loved that job but didnt love what seemed 9 months of rain and cold,but those summer months,with no one about were well worth it.

Comment

my neighbour loves the sound of the cockerel, she says its what living in the country is all about. She is a good distance from our house mind.......

Comment

Their call really does travel doesn't it???

OH went for a walk across the fields the other day in one foot of snow to take some piccies, and he heard a cockerel and was trying to work out which farm it was coming from- until he realised it was one of ours!!!
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X