Oooh, getting 6 more girls tomorrow!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
    Some of my warrens are not much bigger than bantams!!
    Hi Shirl, thanks for that, maybe my existing Warren Daisy is just a big girl

Comment

Sorry for the quality, will get some clearer pics soon
      Attached Files

Comment

They look better than poor old batts though, shouldn't take long to get them settled, well done you
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Oh bless 'em. Their combs are lovely and red though. Today's their lucky day!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks all. Flum - their combs are nice and red, not quite as red as my girls though. God the difference between the new and old girls is unbelievable when side by side. Checked them over, no mites, scaley leg etc. A couple in partial moult. They are underfed and I have my suspicions that they were also not as free range as they should have been. No corn or greens being given and no grass for them either to peck at. Shelter for them was also an issue, no popholes on their plastic boxes, good job really, because the boxes weren't vented. Just 1 of the new girls a bit sniffly,no worse then my own girls at times.

What the best sort of protein feed that I can give them. Have read about pilchards and cat food?

Just to add, they are all tucked up in bed, no problems and squabbling this afternoon has been few and far between.
            Last edited by MrsC; 19-02-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

They will be fine on layers pellets same as your other birds. These will contain all the protein they need. Corn is not really necessary, it is only a treat, so it will not have harmed them not to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                They will be fine on layers pellets same as your other birds. These will contain all the protein they need. Corn is not really necessary, it is only a treat, so it will not have harmed them not to have it.
                Hi Richmond they have been tucking into the layers this afternoon. I know corn is a treat, my girls are spoilt I know but they only get a bit around 4pm otherwise they let me know, plus greens and peelings a couple of times a week and access to the garden everyday. I was thinking more of a boost to get them looking as healthy as my other girls. Any suggestions?
                Last edited by MrsC; 19-02-2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Please don't over do it! Its rather like hungry ( I mean starving) people being given large amounts of food their system cannot cope and cat food is best left to cats!!! A good quality layers mash or pellet will give them all the protein and nutrients they need don't forget the grit, a small amount of live yoghurt mixed seperately with some of the mash or pellets is not a bad idea this can settle upset digestive problems should they have any and it will not hurt your original girls either.
                  There are additives that you can add to their food or water to give them a boost or Allen and Page sell a Crumb for ex - batts, that will have been specially formulated to give the correct balance for a needy bird.
                  Keep peeling and scraps to a minimum the feed value is debatable and with the daylight increasing they will start to come into lay so will need as much of the correct protein as possible.

Comment

I echo Motherhen. Don't overdo it. You can add some Poultry Spice to their pellets if you wish but otherwise they are best left to just get used to the new regime gradually. Over time you will see an improvement. As mentioned earlier, make sure you worm them as a "clean" system will help them pick up even faster.

Comment

Excellent! Can't wait to see your photos.
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I'm not going to overdo it, have still got my first lot of girls in with them and I know not to overdo it. Just thought a quick pick me up to be added that's all. All the girls get grit etc. Just want the new girls looking healthy that's all. Thanks

Comment

wish you best of luck with them..they obviously deserve a break..

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                            Sorry for the quality, will get some clearer pics soon
                            How did I miss this one?
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                              How did I miss this one?
                              Lol...............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X