Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick can i feed cooked these to me girls question

Hi all

Please can you tell me if i can give me girls cooked parsnip peelings and cooked outer leaves from me sprouts ???????

Cheers all

All the best Phattaff
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight
    It's the size of fight in the dog

Can't see why not

If they don't like it - they'll soon tell you!!
    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
    For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Quick answer - Yes
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Are you sure about giving them sprouts?????

I gave some uncooked outers the other day and the coop nearly exploded! methane wise, so never again..wasnt pretty to clean them out either

Comment

They are happy with almost all vegetable peelings if they are well boiled and some raw.
          If you search the forum you will find lots of information on the subject of chicken feed, bought or home made.

Hope that helps,

James
          The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tlck9 View Post
            Are you sure about giving them sprouts?????

I gave some uncooked outers the other day and the coop nearly exploded! methane wise, so never again..wasnt pretty to clean them out either
            mine love sprouts I gave them the stalks of some that had blown and they stripped them bare, didnt notice any after effects
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Mine love raw or cooked sprouts and cooked parsnips. There was a recent thread on here about not giving parsnips called, celery,parsnips & other foods.

Comment

My lot won't eat peelings unless they are cooked then they will deign to dine..
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I feed mine any peelings i have. I always boil them first and if they dont like it they dont eat it.

They're all still alive and healthy.

Comment

I've started feeding peelings to my Batties, but I cook them all first. My original lot wouldn't eat 'kitchen scraps' because I didn't introduce them early enough, but I started with the Newbies from day one (well, day two actually!) Now, as Hayley once described, it's like a blimmin Rugby match when you put the food trays down - and don't get your hands in the way or they'll be picked clean!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Cheers everyone for your advise

All the best

Phattaff
                      It's not the size of the dog in the fight
                      It's the size of fight in the dog

Comment

I get massive bags of veg peel etc from the veg stall on the market, horses get a pile (except leeks) every day, the rest...chop it up a bit, stick in huge stockpan, bring to boil then slam on lid and turn off heat. Chooks and geese both love it hot or cold. Usually contains leek, cabbage, carrot, swede, parsnip, celery and I add our clean potato peel too. Sometimes there are bruised apples or plums, they get them raw. And sometimes I throw raw carrot leek and cabbage out for them, they wont eat the parsnip raw though.
                        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

mine will only eat peelings cooked too.
                          They also like parsnip and carrot tops grown from the top slice in a tray of water, like you did as a child. Free greens!

Comment

my gran always fed her birds any peelings,cooked,with arrowroot biscuits and the occasional hard boiled egg,ive started giving mine some peelings and it seems the next day we always get max amount of eggs,and the squabbling over these scraps has to be seen to be believed...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X