My fridge has been taken over

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    ...do the French farmers know about this????

I'm constantly bewildered by rules and regs- I'm sure a lot of them needed to be introduced to try and cope with the problems caused by overcrowding.

Everything here seems to be fed on left over bread!!
    I'm constantly bewildered by this sort of happening! It seems the EU makes all these rules and regs and only Britain is supposed to abide by them!

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
      I've shown this to my girls and they say coz the eggs are for me and Mr DDL then its OK to have scraps and treats.
      PS I forgot to mention the bag of porridge oats on top of the fridge!
      Fair comment Bernie. Must admit I'm not that well up on DEFRA regs to argue the toss about that one!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        this kind ...
        Gorgeous! I am considering getting myself an eclectus...doing all the necessary research just now, and pondering it agonisingly for months to come no doubt. I almost bought a sun conure a few years ago but sadly I missed out and the little fella went to a new home just before I got there for him
        I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bephlam View Post
          I am considering getting myself an eclectus...
          the main problem with those that I can see, is that they require a lot of fresh fruit & veg (Vit A, elder & hawthorn berries). Their diet & digestive system is different to other parrots.

I wanted a Moluccan cockatoo, but cockatoos are just too flipping noisy. My conure is a vicious little beast: he becomes very territorial in late winter & tries to bite me when I feed him. I tell him I'm going to take him to my pet shop & swap him for something nicer.

Lories are beautiful: I got myself covered in them out in Singapore, they were lovely, but feed on honeyed water (not practical in our house).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-02-2010, 01:38 PM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yeah, I have done a lot of reading about them, and you're right...they eat a very fresh diet, seeds and pellets really aren't advised. However, as we're veggies, we actually eat a lot of the same diet as them, and as such don't feel it would be a huge problem...although the mess I'm sure would be a problem, still with all these animals we already have an extra bit of mess can't hurt us, can it?

My main worry is the attention thing...there would be someone home all day with them (OH is based at home) and no doubt it would get lots of attention, but some sources say Eclectus and African Greys can't be left alone at all...etc...and other sources say it's fine to leave them for a period of time (like other pets)...I dunno, it's a hard choice, also because of their loooong life!

(PS: Sorry for hijacking your thread!! My fridge hasn't been taken over by the chooks, but that's only because our kitchen is so cold that you don't need the fridge!)

Comment

sorry, off topic

some sources say Eclectus and African Greys can't be left alone at all..
              When I got my baby Grey, I just wanted to be with her all the time, playing & training, but because I had to go to work, I started leaving her in the cage right from the beginning. Start as you mean to go on.

She comes out to play before work in the morning, and is out with me most of the afternoon/evening. However, during the play times, she also gets put back in the cage Iif I'm cooking or something) and she never plays up because she's been used to it from day one.

I make the cage fun: she has new toys, treats etc when she goes in.

I did recently leave her alone for 24 hrs (she has the conure & the budgie next to her, but she doesn't relate to them, she thinks she's a person). She was really weird when I got home, didn't speak for an hour and didn't seem to recognise me! We're going away for a long weekend soon, and I'm a bit worried about it. The conure won't eat when I'm away and he always bites me when I get back, for daring to leave him.

Parrots are like small intelligent children: they really do need a lot of attention, otherwise you will get behavioural problems. They're flock animals and you become their flock.

Sorry for thread hijack
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-02-2010, 02:12 PM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Still off topic...we should have really started a new 'parrot' thread in general chat

Yeah, that's what I thought....and we've had lots of deep discussion about it. The way I look at it, it's near impossible for us to go away at the moment with the three cats, three dogs and 8 chickens. We sometimes go down to see my family and stay over night...and we're going away for our first long weekend in 4 years at the end of March...so I think we'd be around enough to save having problems.

Like anything, it's a HUGE responsibility taking on a new life in your home...and I always strive to give the animal the best, understanding, home possible...so, I'm just feeling about for other people's experiences.
                Last edited by Bephlam; 21-02-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Again...HUGE SORRY for stealing your thread Bernie! :/

Comment

Again...HUGE SORRY for stealing your thread Bernie! :/
                    No probs
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

i know what you mean about the full fridge,then there is the old wash-house(shed),with the feed containers,standby housing(big strong cardboard box),bins with cabbages,carrots,sweetcorn,cooked cheapo rice,wormers,mitekillers etc ,it seems that they have taken up half the shed...it seems to be like babies,little person-massive lot of neccesaey bits,and you dont get eggs off the babies,so i will just live with it and enjoy the eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
                        it seems to be like babies,little person-massive lot of neccesaey bits,and you dont get eggs off the babies,so i will just live with it and enjoy the eggs.
                        Me too!
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I love African Greys! We've got one in the family :-)
                          All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                          For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X