Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have I started? A chicken rescue centre?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I started? A chicken rescue centre?

Hi guys

After placing a 'wanted ad' for chucks who need a loving home I have had 3 phone calls in 3 days!

As you know I picked up my new girls yesterday. The latest phone call is from a retired gentlemen, who from the sounds of it has kept chickens most of his life and has moved in the last 12 months to warden controlled housing. He has continued his passion only to be told that he can no longer keep his chucks. Well over 20+ to be rehomed, from POL Warrens x 7 to year old Black Rocks to Silkies/Frizzles bred by himself. He has told me he will keep a couple for showing. What do I do, I want to help him?

Any takers here or is this against the forum rules, he wants a good home for them.

I did think that when I saw your post - hope you find a home for them.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thankfully I'm too far away from you Mrs. C! Good luck with it though!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Goodness! Hope you can help him out. I'll see how much space I have when I (eventually) get the new run, I'll see if I have any room. Got to convince Mr DDL as well though. No promises.
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I suspect you'll get a lot more phone calls too. Unless you seriously have enough room/time/money for all these birds I would suggest you don't take on many more for the time being. I could re-home hundreds on our land but I won't. It's an enormous undertaking, and an expensive one. A lot of rehoming/rescue birds will come needing medical help and as we all know, this can cost a lot.

Sorry, don't let me put you off. I know how easy it is to feel sorry for someone/something and want to help out.

Comment

With you there Richmond, and it becomes a habit too; if you've saved one you have to save the next one and so on. I have a friend who rescues loads of birds and animals - she managed to rescue a Donkey this week.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I've twice fallen into the trap of "Can't take one, take all or nowt" (Thats how I've now got 30 chooks!)
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've got the same thing with ponies. It's been real hard to say no sometimes especially when people tell you that you are their last hope before the abbatoir. iv'e had to be deaf and blind more times than i care to remember...

Comment

I agree, I am going to take off the wanted ad. I know my limits and I'm a sucker for helping people.

Comment

I may have some room for a trio, if he's in dire straits I'd be interested in Frizzles if that helps?
                    SuzyB
                    www.mind-spillage.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyB View Post
                      I may have some room for a trio, if he's in dire straits I'd be interested in Frizzles if that helps?
                      Hi Suzy

I got the last Frizzle. Think he only has 4 x POL Warrens left now.

Comment

Aww Im glad they've almost all found homes then, thats good news.
                        SuzyB
                        www.mind-spillage.blogspot.com

Comment

I am so glad you are miles away from me
                          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X