New hen

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hen

I have been thinking of keeping 3 hens for over a year now and have decided to take the plunge...

I have kept chickens and bantams before (when I was much younger), but I was living with parents in a village.

I now live on an estate, so after reading Curvychicks post about her noisey hen.

What are the quietest breeds ???

Help please !
    You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Welcome to the Vine Liza.

Most hens are noisy from time to time, regardless of breed. If they have enough space and are not shouting from frustration then apart from egg laying time (when they will cackle a lot) then they should be reasonably quiet.

Comment

I have 4 - mostly in an enclosed walk-in run of 3 x 2.5 metres. They aren't noisy at all in the day but occasionally (more so in the summer when the dawn chorus is at its best - maybe they are in competition) one or more will do the clucking bit when they lay an egg. Normally though, you wouldn't know they were there. I think if they have enough room and enough to do they don't bother much.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
        I have 4 - mostly in an enclosed walk-in run of 3 x 2.5 metres. They aren't noisy at all in the day but occasionally (more so in the summer when the dawn chorus is at its best - maybe they are in competition) one or more will do the clucking bit when they lay an egg. Normally though, you wouldn't know they were there. I think if they have enough room and enough to do they don't bother much.
        Hi Flummery, what breed do you have ?

Comment

Hi Liza

I find that my Bluebelle is the quietest, never heard her make a noise really. My Light Sussex/Magpie are the noisest. I only have the 1 Bluebelle though would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.

Comment

Thanks for input so far, more welcome !

Have been doing some research and Buff Orpington seems to be a safe bet..... now I just need to find a breeder near Oxford ?

Comment

Orpingtons are very docile, but be warned, they are expensive!! POL pullets will cost at the very least £30-35 each, and often higher. If you can bear to wait for eggs, it might be worth you trying to get hold of youngsters off heat (8 weeks old or so at this time of year) as they will be cheaper, but the downside is they may not have been sexed so you run the risk of getting a cock. Good luck!

Comment

You might find some on here Your Search Results on Bird Trader .co.uk. Private/Trade, I noticed that there were some Buff Orpington bantams, didn't look right through the list though so there may be some large fowl too
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                  Hi Liza

I find that my Bluebelle is the quietest, never heard her make a noise really. My Light Sussex/Magpie are the noisest. I only have the 1 Bluebelle though would be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.
                  My Bluebelle is the noisiest bird I've ever had! She squawks when she's layed, she squawks if she wants to go on the nest and someone else is there, she squawks if some thing (anything!) startles her, she squawks when she runs..............! My warrens are nice and quiet though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                    Hi Liza

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
                    My Bluebelle is the noisiest bird I've ever had! She squawks when she's layed, she squawks if she wants to go on the nest and someone else is there, she squawks if some thing (anything!) startles her, she squawks when she runs..............! My warrens are nice and quiet though.
                    Oh help !!!! now I AM confused !

Comment

Things never can be 100% sure
                      Just go for a 'generally quieter' breed- and see what happens!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just to confuse things even more my own birds are a mixture of Bluebelles, Warrens, Welsummer, Minorca and Jersey Giant. All the girls are quiet (mostly) but of course Jerry (the Jersey Giant) is noisy because he crows. I'm at the moment "lodging" my daughters 12 Warrens and 3 bantams (don't know what "make" they are) and all her Warrens are as noisy as anything To be honest though, all the Bluebelles I've got and the ones I had last year were always the quietest
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Liza View Post
                          Hi Flummery, what breed do you have ?
                          They are called Rangers. I think this is just another brand of the hybrid also called Warren or Isa Brown. They are lovely friendly little things.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Liza View Post
                            Oh help !!!! now I AM confused !
                            Just proves they're all individuals as Maureen's Bluebelles came from the same place as mine!!!!

Comment

I ex batts seem to chunter alot, we've re-named one cluckcluck!! for that reason. My hybrids though are very quiet, I've got a white leghorn (flighty) and a ranger (no noise) and a sussex, rhode island red and she is fiarly quiet.

I have noticed the hybrids seem to be quieter than the pure breeds, but Only through experience on our allotment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X