Layers pellets.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layers pellets.

Are there any down sides to wild birds eating layers pellets ?

I remembered seeing this thread - I'll be honest, I haven't read it, so don't know if it will help much, however, its worth a look...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ild-birds.html

Comment

Not sure if you mean, are they good for wild birds or will they spread disease to the chickens? Which I suppose they will. I have robins and sparrows helping themselves to the pellets all day but can't really stop them as the door of the run is open to allow the girls to freerange. The girls themselves won't let anything bigger in. I've had to save a pigeon and magpie from certain death when they ventured in and got attacked. The blackbirds get chased out too. Funny how the smaller birds aren't seen as a threat.

Comment

I have a roofed run, and it's closed when the girls are free ranging, they have an outdoor coup that they can use to lay etc...only because I don't like the wild birds in the run (disease, etc).

I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

To my knowledge, layers pellets do not harm wild birds. Many have helped themselves to our feed over the years and I've not seen anyone keel over yet!

As for diseases, there is a small risk of disease spread, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons of whether free range versus confinement is nicer for your chickens or not. None of my birds have ever succumbed to anything horrible despite sharing their breakfast with the local blackbird population.
          Last edited by RichmondHens; 21-02-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Just want to assure everyone that my cat and dogs haven't sprouted feathers or laid eggs since they hoovered up the layers that were spilled on three separate occasions this year
            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

The two robins on my plot are there every morning at feeding time. My girls tolerate them, and other small birds but they don't like bigger ones either.
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

My birds free range....but I close their run up. Mainly because the dogs go in the run and eat anything and everything...and the cats love to snuggle up and sleep in the nest boxes.
                I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X