Do hens have laying 'practise runs'?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do hens have laying 'practise runs'?

Just wondering whether hens ever do practise runs for laying? One of my four, an ex free range farm hen of indeterminate age (around 4 I think), keeps sitting on the nest box for quite long periods of time, but has yet to lay an egg this year . She's very happy and perky (she's a real character), so I don't think anything is wrong. I'm getting eggs most days now from the other three, but Speckledy is still to produce the goods!
    Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

She may just be liking it in there - warm, dry and comfortable - as she's getting older. But keep an eye on her. If she is not going broody (which may be a possibility) she might be egg bound. Does she look like she is straining at all? If she is well and happy otherwise then possibly not, but I have just had one drop dead suddenly (to the eye a perfectly healthy happy hen, running around after her corn, then dropped dead in the run). We diagnosed her by post mortem - mass of eggs in the oviduct that had not progressed through the system. She had been in the nest box a few times on and off in the previous few days and I assumed she was about to start up laying. Didn't realise she had a problem as she looked so well.

Don't let me alarm you. If your hen has laid well in previous seasons then quite possibly she is just enjoying snuggling into the straw on these wet cold days. It was just a thought, that's all.

Comment

Thanks for the reply RichmondHens. I think you're probably right with the point that it is warm and cosy in there! I gave her a good check over yesterday, and all seemed well, and as I say she's perfectly happy and healthy looking, so I shall just hope that all is okay. An egg would be nice, but hey ho!
      Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X