Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops! I've made a mistake

I usually feed my girls layers pellets.
    I've just opened up the new sack - it's not pellets, its like a dry mash feed.
    Erm, what should I do with it? Should I mix it with something before I give it to them? Does anyone else feed it to their girls? Do you think they'll eat it? I've no pellets left!
    Thanks in advance!
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

dunno bernie, do you mix it with water & make a mash with it???? if you've nothing else i'm sure they'll eat it although they will grumble at you
    someone with more knowledge will be along soon i'm sure
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hi Bernie

I know people who feed it dry, I had some which was given to me and the girls really liked it made up with a bit of hot water and you can always add other bits like cooked peelings etc. I add water though, hot or cold

Comment

Have a look at the thread on soft-shelled eggs - there's a few posts there about it.
        Last edited by Suechooks; 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
          I usually feed my girls layers pellets.
          I've just opened up the new sack - it's not pellets, its like a dry mash feed.
          Erm, what should I do with it? Should I mix it with something before I give it to them? Does anyone else feed it to their girls? Do you think they'll eat it? I've no pellets left!
          Thanks in advance!
          Have a look on the thread about soft shelled eggs - there are a few posts about meal on there

Comment

Thanx - will do.
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Ah! Bugger! Hopefully my usual place will be open tomorrow for pellets. Does anyone in the Preston area have use for a brand new open sack of mash? Shelley - any good to you? I'll deliver if so............
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Exactly the same formulae as pellets, just not pelletised. They do tend to make a bit of a mess with mash and waste quite a bit, but because its in small pieces they have to work harder to eat it and it keeps them occupied a bit longer.
                The main reason I don't use it is because so much is trodden into the floor and I think it will probably encourage rats and mice!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

you can feed it dry, but the chickens will up their intake of water to compensate. mix it with some water to a crumbly paste and feed it to your birds. wont harm at all. shame to waste it
                  My Blog
                  http://blog.goodlifepress.co.uk/mikerutland

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it to OWG so she can give it to her new ducklings.
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

I feed all of mine layers mash. I just feed it dry with the feeder suspended so they can't scratch it and make a flippin mess!

I found that with pellets, they gobbled them all up and then wined for more
                      All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                      For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Ours have mash for brekkie,made up with hot water.They've often finished it by the time I leave with none wasted.
                        Their feeders are always topped up with pellets for daytime nibbling.
                        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

My first hens were fed dry meal, from a home-made hopper-feeder. It seemed to work OK, but once I could get pellets readily, I switched.
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I found that with pellets, they gobbled them all up and then wined for more [/QUOTE]

That is just Soooooooo true Ha ha Trouble is I always believe them!!!

How much will a chook actually eat, if I put a 20kg sack out for my 25 will it ALL be gone by afternoon Do they have a point where they are full??

Comment

I keep the hopper full at all times (except when I wash it) and a sack of pellets lasts weeks. I don't notice the girls eating all day. In fact they fill up in the morning, perhaps again in the afternoon and again just before bed. They all spend most of their day scratching around for bugs not eating pellets.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X