Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• predators

HELP...
    heard a chicken 'fuss' yesterday morning so went over to make sure everyone ok and arrived just in time to see the lovely Gladys being dragged away by her neck by a very bold creature - which now think is probably a mink... our land backs onto woods and there's a stream too and apparently there's been other reports of mink in the area...
    My husband got in and managed to get Gladys from said mink but it was too late to do anything to save her... poor girl..
    Have secured my remaining three girls in their inside secure area and we've bought some additional fencing to put up around their outside (not so) secure area - this thing seems to have got in through the usual chicken fence???
    Big concern is that it was day light and mink (pretty sure it WAS a mink) wasn't really in a rush to get away from my husband and I, very bold...
    Anything else we can do???
    So sad
    Aspiring grow-your-own good-life goddess...

You could contact your local hunt/gamekeeper/water bailiff as mink are a real menace to any small stock. They might be able to trap it/them for you. They're not indiginous and are the result of misguided folk releasing them - BTW I DON'T agree with mink farming its as bad as battery farming but that's another issue!
    Welcome to the Vine and sorry your first post has been on such a sad subject. Poor Gladys.

Comment

Poor Gladys, how horrible I gave a friend some chicks and the cockerel was taken by a stoat that bored a hole through the wood of the hutch.

Comment

Sorry to hear your news. I hope your other Hens are safe and not too traumatized.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hi there- and welcome to the Vine!

( could I ask you to pop your rough location into your profie?- you'll find it helps with future replies)

Mink are an invasive species- and are in competition with our own natural species- it would be the 'right thing' environmntally to report them so they can be 'flushed out'

Having said that- I imagine they could squeeze through chicken wire- or easiy climb over it???..maybe there are a few ferret owners on the Vine who could advise on that???

We have an electric fence with fine mesh to prevent rats etc getting throgh- that may help you in your situation??
          What sort of size are you talking about for your run???
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mink are quite big, but long and slender. Chain-link mesh it would be borderline whether they could get through or not. They are very bold, and the right thing to do is get it trapped and removed.
            We have 2 species in Britain which are here purely because of releases after fur-farming. Coypu are (I understand) a more local nuisance, and were often released because the fur was never worth as much as the farmers were led to expect. Mink are a menace to so much of our wildlife, and were released by people whose enthusiasm for Animal Rights didn't include thinking through the consequences.....
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Thank you thank you to everyone who has replied... such a brilliant source of information, support and encouragement..
              Our run is about 20 square mitres... since posting we have further secured the area as advised and have been carefully monitoring for predators - happy to report the coast looks clear . . .
              We just need to do a couple more bits then we'll be able to open it up for the girls again - it's been rubbish having them inside all the time, although they do have a spacious area (they have an old, semi converted greenhouse with a large nesting box and a home made perch) it will be good to have them out and about again... and hopefully laying again soon..
              Thank you all again and I look forward to catching up with more positive news in the future..
              BTW - I hope I'm doing this right??? in terms of posting and all??!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs T View Post
                BTW - I hope I'm doing this right??? in terms of posting and all??!!!
                Yup- brill!

Glad you're getting the chook run sorted...they'll love it!

Comment

Have put my location in... Bury Lancashire 'up-north'!!! England (just noticed you're in France, bet it's warmer there!)

Thanks again

Comment

Ha!...well it's 19C at the moment...and looks like rain later.
                    Had to light my wood fire to warm the house through a bit. Autumn is certainly on it's way!

Bury??...used to love going to the market there- superb
                    ( lived in N Cheshire a while ago)

Comment

Ahhh Bury's FAMOUS market!!!

Am jealous re your 19C - struggling at 14C here at the moment (Booohooo) and LOTS of rain...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X