Moulting???.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulting???.....

I was just wondering if the skin goes very red where the feathers drop out- or have my geese been 'snapping' at one of my chooks and bruising the skin?
    It looks fiery red- but no heat.

or...is somthing else going on????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Could be the geese don't think its moulting. Perhaps RH can shed more light on it.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Could be a case of feather pecking - is it just on one area? Often you see it on their bums first

Comment

we saw off 4 teenage cockerels a couple of days ago- I think they upset the balance- they did weigh in at 4x the weight ( and size) of my banties.Can't see the marks on any of the others- but I'll keep my eyes peeled

Comment

Taste nice??

Comment

They're just about to go into the freezer after a couple of days resting in the fridge!
            Always easier for me to eat a few weeks later

Never eaten Marans meat before- I understand it's supposed to taste different from other chicken- but have absolutely no idea if that's true- or if so- in what way!

Anyone know????

Comment

I keep marans and sussex for meat. Both are very tasty but I'm not sure if I would be able to tell them apart - tho' it could be my cooking!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                They're just about to go into the freezer after a couple of days resting in the fridge!
                Always easier for me to eat a few weeks later

Never eaten Marans meat before- I understand it's supposed to taste different from other chicken- but have absolutely no idea if that's true- or if so- in what way!

Anyone know????
                What was that you said about lunch?
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                  What was that you said about lunch?
                  You're on!!!!

Comment

I assume you've checked her for lice etc. In the absence of parasites and if you are certain she is not being pecked then maybe she is just feeling tickly pre moult, as the feathers loosen, and has been doing a lot of preening.

Comment

My Batties are beginning to moult. Bladdy feathers everywhere for the last few days, since the weather changed! None of them look tatty yet though. I wasn't sure if they would moult yet, as they were only released at Christmas and spent the rest of the winter growing their feathers.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Mine are moulting too and look awful, the millies have no tail or neck feathers, the modern games are patchy all over, th eonly ones that look normal are the old english game, the young grower and the two broodies. Weird. By the way, the young roo has blood right up inside his feet quills, is this normal? He's a sabelpoot with huge feet and leg feathering.................

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X