more chicken questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more chicken questions

at the moment i have 6 chickens but 1 is a co*k (started co*k-a-doodling sunday) and another is looking like a co*k. so really i have 4.
    Once the boys have gone would it be ok to put 4 new chickens in??
    and is it to late in the year to get pol chickens (sorry is probably silly question)?
    also can anyone recommend any poultry farmers in lincolnshire

many thanks

LOL - will you eat them or take them back to the breeder?
    Yes - they'll sort themselves out, just make sure they have enough room, feeders and water containers, to avoid any problems.
    No - I reckon any time is a good time, but I may be biased.
    No - Sorry, have you tried googling?

Good luck!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Google Outgate Poultry - in N Lincs. Our birds are from there - fantastically healthy stock and he's really helpful.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I dont know what to do with the boys. we are having a very long debate on what to do with them.
        how many of you eat your poultry?? and how did you cope with eating your first home grown chicken???
        I feel so guilty just thinking of eating our maran
        thanks flummery ive hat a look at outgate and once ive got rid of the boys i might have to pay a visit there

Comment

We eat ours.

The banties came in at 750g short leg length..the Marans 2kg.
          All 'done' between 20 and 22wks cos they were becoming a bother.

Once prepared they sit in the fridge for a couple of days- then bagged and put into the freezer so at that point I can't put a face to them -if you know what I mean

The MArans were esp difficult to 'do' in that one had been hand fed 3 times a day for several weeks as he had a twisty beak. He was very tame. 'Dark eyes' what a superb cockeral- I did ask around but no-one wanted him cos he wasn't tagged as a pure breed.

Nope- it's not easy- but you do get used to it. ( a bit)

Once in the freezer, it's just like any shopbought one...until you taste them!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We've got 3 geese running round the enclosure at the moment...they are supposed to be for Xmas...one boy and 2 gals...I suppose they could stay there if nec and lay eggs...but I don't really like goose eggs...and if they hatched- we'd still have to do the deed to the babies!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              We've got 3 geese running round the enclosure at the moment...they are supposed to be for Xmas...one boy and 2 gals...I suppose they could stay there if nec and lay eggs...but I don't really like goose eggs...and if they hatched- we'd still have to do the deed to the babies!
              But you would have LOTS of geese to sell/barter next Xmas.....
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

sorry i have another question
                i have a blackrock but when i look online at pics of blackrocks she looks nothing like one lol
                from the pics ive seen they have a brown head, but mines all black (some people ask why we have a crow in with the chooks)

Comment

My black rock has only got a few brown feathers around her neck - hence she's called Rusty!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X