No announcement yet.

Can you mix breeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not me G4, not when I started out with 3 ...........
    Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
      The 1sq m per bird is the RSPCA recommended MINIMUM for commercial free range apparently.
      CRIKEY. Thats mad

Comment

mmmm, just to say, and quoting IH's exceptions, my game birds run with the rest, and yes they are more aggressive, but generally they are all fine together. When a broody comes back into the flock the games will chase her around a bit, but they settle down eventually. The games are also very broody (strangely) so they are quite often too busy with fluffies to scrap!...............

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          ROFL OK, who's gonna take bets!!!?
          I'm in, owt for money

There's only 2 of us + our 1year old sooo.. 4 is fine TOPS. I'm def putting my foot down on that

Comment

Yeh...right!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

stoppit!

anyways. Is there a league table of egg layers, or similar? i.e what breeds are said to lay up to what count per year with egg colours (do diff breeds' eggs taste diff btW?)

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                stoppit!

anyways. Is there a league table of egg layers, or similar? i.e what breeds are said to lay up to what count per year with egg colours (do diff breeds' eggs taste diff btW?)
                Most of the hybrid layers do over 300 eggs in their first year of laying and reduce gradually. As they lay more eggs early on they tend not to live as long as pure breeds. I have a Speckledy who is about 6 years old and still does around 3 per week during the Spring and summer but usually has a well earned rest in winter.
                Someone told me that lifespan of hens is reflected in the price you pay! I know Warrens are about £8 around here and I can get pure breeds for about £15 POL.
                If you google one of the bigger suppliers they usually have a description of the birds and what they're likely to lay.
                All home-gown eggs taste fab!

Comment

Thanks Sue.

Bit of a grim one next. If one bird dies, how do you dispose of it? Not sure i'm really keen on the idea of just plonking it in a bag in the bin.

Comment

Thanks Sue.

Bit of a grim one next. If one bird dies, how do you dispose of it? Not sure i'm really keen on the idea of just plonking it in a bag in the bin.
                    I double bag them and put them in my (non-recyclables) bin.

I wouldn't bury them because we have dogs who might dig it up... plus, we have 40 or so birds, and eventually, that's a lot of graves....

Comment

Yup- that's exactly what you're supposed to do
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Sue.

We have a bin for waste food and compostable stuff like corrugated cardboard so mine go in compostable bag then cardboard box then bin. Unless the ordinary bin is being emptied next day then it goes in that. If its been pts by the vet then they "take care of them"!

Comment

There are two websites I've found good for comparisons
                          Hendersons Chicken Breeds Chart
                          and Feathersite's chicken pages (although you have to dig through as its not a chart..nice pics though.
                          Hybrids are usualy top of the layers, closely followed by Rhode Island Red, white commercial leghorns
                          and there my memory quits on me
                          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

You have to add in an extra one, maybe a little pekin bantam for the little one. They love cuddles, not many eggs but a real pet.

Comment

yup, pekins are cute as hell. Mine (7 weeks old) already come up to me to have their tummies scratched..!! get two tho;, for company ;-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X