Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed as a coop

Couple of queries:

Anyone got a pictures of how they're using a shed as a coop?

What do you do, cut a hole in the side and attach a run?

Do you build a platform for nest boxes, and how do you attach a perch in there too?

If the shed is overlapped slates of wood, does this cause a problem with mites living in the nooks and crannies?

Thanks

hi, we converted DD old wendy house, put some frames in for perches which are removeable for cleaning, etc., used covered cat litter trays for nest boxes (plastic so easy to clean) put a ramp up to the higher perches and use gravel trays under the perches for easy cleaning. We've attached a run and just open the doors didnt cut a hole as it might have wearkened the structure. Am at work so cant post pictures but will do later if you want to see. Touch wood had no problems with mite so far.
    Last edited by Hans Mum; 06-09-2010, 09:51 AM.
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Hi

Ive almost (or rather my dad!) has almost finished converting the back end of my shed to a coop.

Basically before this for my hatchies I had a large dog cage pushed up to the inside and created a pop hole out into a run for them. My plan is once my newbies are a bit bigger and can hold their own, all the girls will live in the shed with all the combined runs coming off it the length of the garden.

My dad built a frame using wooden batons and chicken wire and 'fenced off' the end. He's built perches which attach to batons fastened to the sides and a lift off platform for the nesting area. None of those bits are fixed, they slot in so I can remove them for cleaning. For the nesting area, which I'll trial first to see if they take to it, he cut two large holes in a flat piece of wood and dropped two large plastic colanders into them. Filled with straw they look quite comfy, though it'll be a while before my layers are in there to test the theory. I'll take some photos later if that will help you?
      SuzyB
      www.mind-spillage.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks both - if I could have a look at some pictures that'd be really helpful.

My wife is keen to get them, so if I have an idea of how I'm going to tackle it, it'll get her off my back for a bit!

Comment

Pictures of our converted shed attached...

Ours sleeps ducks on the bottom (8 large breed), hens on the top (12 or so LF). Nestboxes are in the middle.

Our shed is inside a roofed pen, approx 10m x 10m, so there is no run attached to it per se.

The structure inside the shed was built as a freestanding nestbox/perch unit and screwed into place once the shed was in place. It can be removed (just need to unscrew the bolts).

I've not had a mite problem in there (yet!). It gets cleaned out regularly, and drenched in poultry shield.

The large 'duck' pophole was bought from ebay, and we just cut a hole in the shed and attached it.

Any more questions just ask!

I can always take more pictures if you want...
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks OWG - how do they get to the nest boxes? I've just thought I have a bike store / half height shed type thingy in my garden, I could use that!

*will investigate when I get home*

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              Thanks OWG - how do they get to the nest boxes? I've just thought I have a bike store / half height shed type thingy in my garden, I could use that!

*will investigate when I get home*
              They jump/fly to the next boxes as they either come through the pop hole at the bottom (and go up) or up the ramp and down into them...

Remember that you'll have to clean whatever you're using out, so if it's not full height like a shed, you need to be able to kneel/crouch for cleaning out/egg collecting etc
              Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM.

Comment

i lined and siliconed my shed wot i made ... with hardboard, then siliconed any nook and cranny, then lined with lino and laminate flooring, and siliconed again .... nowhere for lice to hide, and bonus you could just hose it down .... i made a blatform from a piece of worktop for easy cleaning, and attached the perch above it using those angled strips of metal with holes in ... if that makes sense .... a plank of wood with slats on as a ladder, and a pop hole in the side .... i also added a nest box to the back .... but cos the shelf was above it, i had to crawl in to get the eggs, so next time i wouldn't bother.

pics are here http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...use_22920.html

Comment

Laminate floor on top of lino?

Don't they go skidding all over the shop? - I have spare laminate, and waterproof underlay too. That's mad, I can't be bothered to build something like that heh but it's cool!

Comment

no i got the linings from an add i put on freecycle ... so different bits of lino .... so i did the bottom bit with that ...... and the top bits with the laminate, cos it's not as waterproof

and nope no skidding at all .... they were fine on the laminate in my hallway too

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...n-house-4.html

Comment

Thanks Lynda.

If I convert what I have to a chicken coop - will I need to put ventilation in somehow? Just wondering if I can't make it out one day for whatever reason, I don't want to bake them in there?

Here's what I have - I'd guess it's around 2.5-3' deep by 5' long, by maybe 4' high?

Ignore the paddling pool and plant pots - chucked them in there when we had a BBQ!

But I was thinking I could create a shelf in there (for nest boxes) I can line the walls with hardboard (do I need to insulate?) and fix all the broken parts, replace the roof - and fit a new floor in. I can then create a run going left or right from the first picture.

In the summer, do you leave (if you have) the door to run open all the time to keep it cooler in there? I can imagine it getting quite warm in there, because my garden is pretty much south facing, with that shed on the right hand side of my garden when looking down it - so it'll get the sun until around 3/4 I'd have thought... I could create a part of the run with cover on the wall and roof so they can sit out side in it with some sort of cover to create some shade...

Also, one of my concerns is letting them freely roam whilst I'm at work (two days out of the week no one is here during the day - I have a lot of cats around here - I don't want them tormenting them - I'd rather be around so I can shoo it off).... Would they be alright if I left the run door to the shed open, until I got home - so I could then let them out in the garden until bed time?

Are there any plants/veg that I should make an effort to keep them from that are poisonous to them? I don't have any poisonous things in the garden to my knowledge, but I remember my dog are rhubarb leafs and stems once, and had the squirts for a week afterwards - needed a drip to be re-hydrated.

Do you think they'd be startled if I opened the double doors to collect eggs? I'd probably line the bottom part of the doors with chicken wire incase one wanted to make a break for freedom?

Hmm, I have loads of questions - but I think that's enough for now. I like the idea of lino on the floor... I've some chipboard I can treat and put down, then stick that on there. Top tip!

(btw, do they need any extra warmth in the winter?)

Comment

To answer some of your questions, do not line the shed with anything. Any layer you create becomes a hidey hole for red mite very quickly. We made the mistake with the very first house we built of having a ply lining and weatherboard exterior. Over the years we battled with red mite in it, and ended up having to strip off all the outer weatherboard as there were literally zillions of red mite between that and the inner lining. Despite creosoting the inside the mite was still happily living between the layers. So leave the shed as it is on the inside, give it a good coat of creosote (internally) and pop some perches in. You don't really need to make a nestbox if you don't want to. Hens will happily lay on the floor as long as it is dark and comfy (it's what they would do if left to find their own nest site) If you create a cosy nest in the darkest corner with a big pile of shavings and a log or short plank or similar to contain the nest in the corner that will do. Don't however site the perches over the nesting area or else they will poo in it all night!

Re cold and hot weather: Chickens will suffer more in the heat than the cold and more die of heat stroke than being frozen. There is no need to provide extra heat in the winter. As long as the shed is dry and draught free then that will suffice. You will need some sort of ventilation in the form of holes near the roof at the top of the walls. If the shed is in a sunny spot then maybe something rigged outside to cast a shadow over the shed in the hottest part of the day would help. Leave the main doors shut to keep the shed dark so the hens still want to lay in there, but you can put a large pop hole in the side or within the main door.

Re leaving them to roam within your garden while you are out: as long as the perimeter of the garden is secure then it shouldn't be a problem. Dogs are a threat to chickens, but cats really shouldn't bother them. Cats will attack chicks or small growers, but not adult chickens. And don't forget the urban fox. If you have foxes near you then are they likely to get in your garden? The chickens may be safer in an enclosed run while you are not there, although it is obviously not as nice for the chickens as free ranging.

Re plants: chickens have a built in sense of what is good to eat and what is not, and will avoid poisonous plants.

The more you handle your chickens the less likely they are to be startled by your appearance. You will need to handle them regularly anyway to check their general condition and look for parasites. So just do what you want to do and ignore their fussing, they will soon get used to you.

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                          To answer some of your questions, do not line the shed with anything.
                          but if you do the lino thing and seal any gaps with silicone, theres nowhere for them to get inside the house and if they do come in on the hens ... they get washed away with the hose pipe ..... obviously if theres gaps there is places for them to hide, but no gaps, no hiding places .... i never had a problem.

Comment

i left my pop hole open all year, cos the sleeping perch was up in the air so no drafts .... and not in line of the normal wind flow .... and i'm not good at getting moving in the mornings ..... mines in full sun all day from early morning till it goes down behind the houses about 9 in mid summer ... and it was usually cooler in there than outside in summer and warmer in winter ... maybe cos of the extra lining .... i left a gap at the top of the door, for ventilation .... and of course the pop hole, they snuggle up for warmth ..... if you put a couple of boxes on the ground .... you could put a waterproof poo shelf above them and a perch across ... and you could always fix one of the doors closed so theres more room to perch if needed

regarding free ranging .... mine did most of the time, though the dog was usually out there with them, so would get told of any foxes .... never seen any cats try to catch them .... but i'd put them in the run if i went out ..... foxes can get over much higher fences than you might think .... and also dig .... so if theres one in your neighbourhood, precautions against them are a good idea.

but your shed looks like it will make a fab house

Comment

Thanks - the garden is surrounded by a 10' odd wall, which leads to a side garden, surrounded by a 6' fence - I've seen a fox about a year ago over the road so I do know that they're around (that was another concern).

Regarding mites - surely the overlapping shed slates would make great hiding places for them?

Vent wise, I was thinking of fixing those ones that they put on houses - such as one of these: Exterior Hooded Vent White: compare and buy | LetsBuyIt.com

I didn't know you could still buy creosote - where would I be looking for this? I know my local B&Q don't sell it, as I used to work there after I'd finished uni

Would I need to put a window in there?

Forgot the rest, but I'm sure they'll come to me later

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X