No announcement yet.

Advice on Friendly Hens please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good preservative to use is the Cuprinol Trade. It is pet and child friendly and once its dry to touch there are no horrible smells.

The height should be fine. Chickens don't tend to spred their wings, unlike ducks so I wouldn't worry about wing span.

Oh and by the way, these are NOT idiot questions. They are a desire to absorb information and widen your knowledge. Much better to ask a question. To not ask a question when people are willing to answer - now that would be an idiot thing. :-)

Comment

Hi Suzie, well apart from trying to walk down that path with a stick and a toddler....

Arn't those hens grand! The Orpingtons look like caramel duvets, and so soft to touch, I hadn't expected that somehow. I liked his turkey too but I think that may be taking things too far with the OH .

I think that, yes, it has just confirmed that this is a good idea and not just because for the first time ever my horrendiously picky three year old TRIED AN EGG - AND LIKED IT!!!!!!!

(Never had these problems with Hazel - she eats almost anything)

Colin and Fee were very helpful, I got a lot of information which I now need to mull over, such as the advantage of a hybrid over a pure breed for hardiness and docility. I'm still not sure what I would do with thick end of 900 eggs a year, but if Pippa will start eating them.....

Oh and a nice, if minor, point in praise of Homefarm Fowls, with all those birds there was no smell at all - even given the bad weather and slightly soggy runs. Ho hum, back to scrubbing the Ark.....

Terry
      Last edited by TPeers; 08-03-2007, 07:05 AM.
      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Just registered on the forum especially to reply to your questions Terry, as I'm sure that you will not regret inviting a few hens into your family!
        I have a mixture of hybrids (1 Blackrock and 2 Bluebells) and 5 pekin bantams including a partridge cockerel. Hybrids are genuinely quite friendly (and nosey!) but the pekins are great and won't lay as many eggs. I would definitely recommend them if your children are small, particularly if they are used to being handled from a young age (the chooks, not the children!) as they will sit on your arm quite contentedly. Don't think you could do the same with an Orpington - they are huge! Which is one of the reasons I felt the need to reply: if the ark you are talking about is a standard 6 ft long by 3 ft high and wide I think it might be a bit small for Orpingtons. I'm sure the breeder will advise you, but don't set your heart on the bigguns just yet.
        One more thing - scrub the ark thoroughly and then disinfect it with Virkon, which is designed for animal runs, kennels, feeders, etc.
        Look forward to hearing what you end up with!

Comment

What can I say Milliebecks, thank you, I am very grateful. I had noticed the size of the Orpingtons and I must say it was exercising my imagination trying to imagine them struggle in and out of the pop hole! They are beautiful though.

I think that I will probably go the hybrid route on this occasion, even though it means more eggs than I wanted, the benefits in terms of compact size for a full size egg, hardiness, docility and the fact that they are, or seem, less prone to some fairly nasty deseases and complaints is a lot of evidence in their favour.

Also while the OH is agin the idea at the mo, there is always the chance that he will change is mind once some are in residence, and it will give me time to either build a bigger enclosure or save up and by something of a more appropriate size for the pure bred 'heavy' birds.

Colin and Fee do have some light sussex hybrids which would give Hazel the pretty bird she wants with the hybrid vigour that seems so valuable, might have to limit her to only two birds as the ark is not exactly over generous.

Was out earlier giving the ark another scrub - it no longer stinks I am glad to say! Not I just need a couple of dry days so that I can paint the Cuprinol on and we'll be well away in plenty of time for her ladyships birthday!

Terry

Comment

If my and my friend's experience is anything to go by, not only will the OH be (secretly) enchanted by how entertaining chooks are, but will also become obsessed by the DIY opportunity presented by altering/extending/improving the chook house and/or run. My guess is, you will soon enough have luxurious quarters for whatever breed you fancy - ostrich eggs for breakfast?

Comment

Look, I know the garden is big, but really!

Comment

With regards to the pop hole size, I think you will be surprised at how small the orpington is under at that feather! To be honest though, with two hybrids you will get plenty of entertainment & plenty of eggs. Although you may not eat all the eggs yourself, they are always a good bribe for neighbours/ friends show the pet sitting arise. They get used to having this lovely surplus of eggs and then you ask the favour!!

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
                  Hi Suzie, well apart from trying to walk down that path with a stick and a toddler....

Arn't those hens grand! The Orpingtons look like caramel duvets, and so soft to touch, I hadn't expected that somehow.

Colin and Fee were very helpful

Oh and a nice, if minor, point in praise of Homefarm Fowls, with all those birds there was no smell at all -
                  Terry

Glad you found them as helpful as me. You've shown a lot more restraint than me though - I went there for a Light Sussex hybrid and a Speckledy....came away with the Orpington and Brahma coz I couldn't resist the big softies. I did eventually get the hybrids as well... and a Bluebelle to boot which my hubby chose (and he was very reluctant to get hens to start with) They are VERY addictive
                  Good luck whatever you choose.
                  SuzieP

Comment

You were ht the first time, Silkie bantams are your best bet. Beautiful, friendly, everything you could want.

Comment

I have enjoyed reading all these threads . We clean our chicken arks out with a power spray of rain water no chemicals everything comes up beautifully. We have 5 loman browns who are all slug eaters and love worms. They make a mess of anything they can get into so I have now given up the lawn in our gargen so they have a messy area. They are lovely to handle and follow me around everywhere when I am gardening.
                      One of them decided she wanted one of my biscutes the other day so watch out if you have lunch in the garden. Three of my chickens saw off two seagulls in the garden and badly pecked one of my cats when he first took up residence with us.We don't have foxes but some polecats have got loose and killed a friends hens. I put mine to bed every night and only let them free range when I am at home which is most of the time. They soon start shouting if they are nort happy and mummy chicken comes running.
                      One of my chickens has worms and has stopped laying her wattle has light pink not red like the others will she ever lay again?
                      Last edited by greenmachine; 13-03-2007, 07:57 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Birdie Wife;72234]Ooh, I was thinking of getting some orloffs to breed crosses for meat... Do you know if yours came from a show strain or utility? They are such beautiful birds.

They came from pure breed but not show, the are speckeldy so very pretty, although a little vulture like with their long legs and small combs.Not sure what egg production is like.
                        I think we have a cockeral ! not easy to tell, not crowing but has the fuller beard, seems attached to one of the other hens. We are not completely sure, but if he is a he then he may end up in the pot ! Any idea how you tell ?
                        I have a bantam gone missing, if she is sitting we might know in three weeks if he is a he ! otherwise she is wasting her time ( AGAIN ! )
                        Last edited by Prickety-prackety; 15-03-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Greenmachine - what makes you think that one of your birds has worms? The chances are that if one has then they probably all have. If it is worms Flubenvet from your vets will soon sort it out, it is not a permanant problem. First sign of worms tends to be 'light in weight'.

Check you house and birds for parasites -they will very often descend on one bird at a time - drag it down and then start on the next one.
                          Last edited by CountryFayre; 16-03-2007, 03:31 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Prickety-prackety;77593]
                            Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                            Ooh, I was thinking of getting some orloffs to breed crosses for meat... Do you know if yours came from a show strain or utility? They are such beautiful birds.

They came from pure breed but not show, the are speckeldy so very pretty, although a little vulture like with their long legs and small combs.Not sure what egg production is like.
                            I think we have a cockeral ! not easy to tell, not crowing but has the fuller beard, seems attached to one of the other hens. We are not completely sure, but if he is a he then he may end up in the pot ! Any idea how you tell ?
                            I have a bantam gone missing, if she is sitting we might know in three weeks if he is a he ! otherwise she is wasting her time ( AGAIN ! )
                            Hi PP, could you post a picture? How old are they? Orloffs are not supposed to be great egg-layers, originally bred for meat, which is possibly why they are a rare breed, as most people who keep hens either keep them for eggs or for show. How are they settling in now?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Had the MiL here at the weekend (these things must be done ) She was having a right laugh at the thought of us keeping hens (a lovely lady - honest ) But she did have a few more useful comments. She suggests that I build a 'lower story' to my ark, a sort of extra run that the ark sits on (would look like a 6' by 4' box, 2' high, with the triangular ark on top of it). Does anyone have any ideas how I should fix the two together? I could just try to shove a screw through, but I'm not sure if the weight of the frame work wouldn't pull it apart. Also would this not be somewhat top heavy, could the whole thing fall over?

As an added problem I would need to change the current side hung door/pophole for a ramp. There is a minimum of 18" from the base of the coop to the angle of the side in which to 'pull up' a ramp, this is obviously not enough to create a ramp to take the hens up and down, assuming a 2' high run thingy, is it ok to hinge the ramp in two, i.e. a three foot ramp folded in the middle when pulled up.

This is all sounding a bit Heath Robinson, so I hope it makes sense!

I'll try to draw a picture and scan it in, but that means the other computer not my pet lappy so may take a while.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Terry

Comment

hi all,
                                Ive been looking at 5 breeds for my garden,(ancona,araucana,barnevelder,gingernut ranger,and wyandott )will they get on, or will i end up with one stood with its wings crossed, stood with one foot on the bodies of the rest,looking chuffed ?
                                They are all very attractive looking birds, and have a massive urban-ish garden,high fence ect, any advice will be gladly accepted, little red hens are my only knowledge, i dont know about the more exotic breeds, thanks Ray.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X