Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing Black Rocks

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a couple of Black Rocks to go with my Speckledys. I've had the Speckledys for about four months and all is well.

Does anyone have any advice?

they are great birds,tough,really good layers,but they will outgrow your speckled hen,mine are twice the weight of my speckled hen,and really funny characters,good luck with them and just enjoy......

Comment

Errrrrr.......my Speckledy is about twice the size of my Black Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
        Errrrrr.......my Speckledy is about twice the size of my Black Rock!
        our two blackrocks are really massive,so much heavier than all the other chooks,nearest to them would be the bluebelle,light sussex,plymouth rock,rhoderocks,warrens and the smallest(and maybe the youngest) is the speckled hen,she is now laying a good sized egg though,she is the fastest to the food and will pinch it off the birds that tower over her,not timid at all..

Comment

I'm not sure now that my Speckledy was a true Speckledy! I was talking to my feed man who also supplies and breeds chooks and he thinks she was a first cross cuckoo marans as she had feathered legs and was a big bird. I bought her from someone who did breed their own hybrids so its entirely possible!

Comment

They should get on fine, but introduce them slowly to avoid the feathers flying! If you can have the new ones in a coop/run within the run of the existing hens that is great, as the birds can all see each other but they won't be competing for food and they won't be able to get at each other. Once they seem to be rubbing along ok through the fence, put the new ones in with the old ones after dark. They'll wake up together and should be okay, with a few minor scuffles. If any of the birds are squaring up to each other through the wire keep the new ones in the run within a run for a bit longer until things seem to settle down. Hens have a strict hierarchy that they will sort out with a bit of pecking, but there shouldn't be constant fighting...

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
              I'm not sure now that my Speckledy was a true Speckledy! I was talking to my feed man who also supplies and breeds chooks and he thinks she was a first cross cuckoo marans as she had feathered legs and was a big bird. I bought her from someone who did breed their own hybrids so its entirely possible!
              we were sold our barred plymouth rock as a speckled hen,along with our other speckled hen ,we couldnt work out why one was a better colour and much bigger growing until i went on a website showing all the different types of bird,and as grandson picked them out,changing it was not an option,she is just a big ball of really soft feathers,and so calm and trusting,when we check them for any nits/lice,i hold her as OH checks the bottom end,after no more than 10/15 secs she has her eyes closed,making soft little burbling noises,i even convinced my grandson that i had hypnotised her,for about 30 secs,til he thought about it(was very sheepish when having his leg pulled about it), she wont lay in a nestbox ,has to be in main part of coop,where she can see out,also sleeps the same way,sometimes with her backside sticking out of the coop...that may change as nights are getting colder,first frosts last night...

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys...er..and the tales of overly large chooks.

Comment

I've just added 3 Black Rocks to my hybrids but they are living in a separate coop and run within the main run until they settle as the ex-batts can be quite spiteful towards newcomers. These girls look as though they'll stand up for themselves though and have been laying since the day they arrived - 1 on Sunday and 2 each day since!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X