Chicken on it's own, what to do!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken on it's own, what to do!!

This spring my broody hen hatched two chick's. All has gone very well and I can't wait for the spring to do it all over again.

However, during the early evening one of the chicks decided to have a little sleep not in her coop but in the fox proof run against the side. It seems that Mr Fox has come along and plucked her to death. This now leaves one chick on it's own at 11 weeks. What should I do? Leave her on her own, put her in with the hens or try and get her a young friend?

Please help!!

If you have room then another youngster would be good.

Have you tried the chick in with the adults??? might be worth seeing what happens for a few minutes/hours.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think I'd get her a young friend - she's a bit young to be in with older hens especially on her own. Also she needs to be on Growers feed still which if its medicated shouldn't be given to layers.

Comment

I would probably give her another youngster friend, but if that's not practical, and at 11 weeks they will probably fight with each other anyway, then you could try adding her to the older hens and see what happens. I have actually just recently added a 12 week old Orpington to some POL Orpingtons (so I can have all Orps together) plus an older hen and a cock to keep them all in order. It has worked well with no bust ups. The little one is bottom of the pecking order but she is also quicker on her feet than the bigger ones so is looking after herself pretty well.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I thought you'd all say get a friend for her, so I have.

All is calm and friendly in the coop again.

Thanks.

Comment

Thats lovely - and a good excuse for another hen!

Comment

Awww, I do like a happy ending!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X