How do you cull?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you cull?

I've read about a broomstick method - but not really sure what it is, I gather you put it across the birds neck and stand on it?

Not planning on doing this, but reading about doing it by holding them upside down and pulling on their necks and twisting seems a bit confusing... I think it'd be worth knowing how to do too.

So what do you do that's easy and clean?

Have a quick play with the search facility, Chris. There are loads of discussions on the subject, some quite recent.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I use the broomstick method, as I'm never convinced I could do it with my hands alone.

With the broomstick method, you lay the chicken on the floor, and place a broom handle (or similar) over it's neck. You stand with your feet on the pole, either side of the chickens head, lift the chickens feet, push your weight onto the pole, and (for want of a better word) pull/jerk the chicken up so the neck dislocates.

There is some flapping, but it's all over pretty quickly.

Comment

Yeah I was searching, that's what provoked me to post this - I couldnt find a detailed explanation of it.. OverWyreGrower filled this gap I'd watched a video on the pulling neck malarky, and erm, dunno if I could do that - seems a bit brutal

Comment

The best thing to do BEFORE you attempt it yourself is to get someone to show you how. Ask an experienced poultry keeper, farmer or gamekeeper. There is no real substitute for being actually there and being shown and ideally having a few birds to practice on. If you ask around your local community I'm sure you will find someone who would be happy to give you a training session. Our local smallholder group runs short courses on despatch and preparation of birds for the table - you may find a similar one near you.

It's very easy to get out of practice though if you do not have to do it very often, so it may just be easier to find someone who can do it for you if the need arises.
          Last edited by RichmondHens; 27-09-2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Ah good idea, thanks. I'll ask when we go to pickup the birds !

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              OverWyreGrower filled this gap I'd watched a video on the pulling neck malarky, and erm, dunno if I could do that - seems a bit brutal
              I only actually did it myself when I had to cull my girl with Mareks. Mr OWG has always done it (whether for meat, or medical reasons). However, he was working away, and it really HAD to be done.

I'd seen him do it about 10 times; so just steeled myself and did it. No, it wasn't very nice, but then again, taking a life never is.

Comment

[QUOTE=RichmondHens;749499]. There is no real substitute for being actually there and being shown and ideally having a few birds to practice on. QUOTE]

unfortunate birds!!!!

Comment

I know it sounds a bit grim, but with someone close by who is experienced if you make a botch they step in and do the deed. Then you can try again until you get it right. As I said earlier, if you really are not going to be culling on a regular basis, and thereby stay in practice, it is probably more sensible to ask someone to do it who is experienced and confident in performing the task.

Comment

Its amazing how helpful folk will be if you're unsure. I'm lucky (?) enough to have a willing neighbour to do the deed for me but I've had 2 people I've bought hens from who have offered to help out if needed.

Comment

broom stick method for me. But not actually a broom stick a solid metal bar is better

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X