cheap bantams!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap bantams!

I have hatched a few chicks to add to the flock, i have 3 spare girls and one boy (Pekins & Bearded D,uccles)that i advertised locally at £15.00 each (boy free)

A lady rang up about them and i explained that they were still with mum and they wouldn't start laying until 18 weeks old etc, she ask the price of them, then she asked if i had any "cheap hens" as she was worried that the might die before they started laying and she didnt want to waste her money.

I explained that there's no reason why they would die if well looked after etc, in the end i suggested it may be best if she purchased some free range eggs from the supermarket.

i dont think people appreciate the cost of keeping hens, food medication,vet bills etc.
    most back garden keepers do it for the fun, i am sure my eggs cost around £5.00 each when you take everything into account.

Absolutely right Jimred! Talking to one of our local breeders who said that he gives the price of a hen and lots of people just say "Will you take £X" offering about £5 less than he's asked! He just tells them thats the price and its not a dutch auction!
    Most people think you just have a few hens in the garden and they look after themselves! I wish.......!
    Last edited by Suechooks; 04-10-2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Bladdy cheeky Moo!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

If they are only after cheap then they are the wrong sort of person to sell to anyway, what sort of life would the poor little things endure!!
        Why do people think a hens life is expendable??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X