No announcement yet.

Well... I did it!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could do.... but the tree moves in the wind (it's split into 2/3 trunks) - I'll put a pic up later! Thankfully they've not discovered the tree yet to roost in, as they could hop the fence if they got up it!

It is a good idea though.. I could even cut the tops off the branches off - leave the stump and trunks in there to a certain height and build over it all - in an 'L' shape. I really need to do it at some point though, although the plan is for them to roam the garden I know there'll be sometimes when I can't get to let them out and a 1x2x1 (WxLxH) metre run isn't suitable for them to be left in all day - doubt it'd do any harm, but it makes me feel guilty!

Hmm...

*goes to get the tape measure and notepad*

When I build the new coop - it's going to match our daughters wendy house. Oh man... I need help.

Comment

Just lift the crown of the tree, ie: remove any lower horizontal branches, so they can't perch in the tree. I would leave the upper canopy for protection. Woodland/Jungle is their natural habitat.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I have 2 old apple trees where my latest chook hut is and I plan to try and include one tree in the run. Trouble is the apples might cause chook concussion!!! Like Chris I need to lop some of the branches but as I've just finished the hut it shouldn't be too long before it's complete! Just in time for some Spring broodies

Comment

Well, I'm not sure if I could do it, I'd need to allow for movement of the branches (it's very windy as we're on the side of a mountain) which would mean rodents would be able to get in via the top..

Just finished digging out steps, it was a huge pile of earth (the original 2.5 tonnes that I had delivered with was crap - just dumped it there).. So quickly laid some flagstones, and then pea gravel to keep the mud down for when we need to go there during a downpour, etc. Can't really tell the incline of it from the pic, but this is the tree I'm on about, and pic of the coop/run.

Whilst digging the daft birds found some polystyrene that somehow as buried in the ground (probably in that earth) and started to eat it :/ It's like having another 3 kids! Anyway, pic attached

BTW - it's pretty funny watching them lie on their sides soaking up the rays !
          Attached Files

Comment

What sort of tree? If it is 'nothing special' (eg ash, because where there is one ash trtee there will be thousands of seedlings) I don't think losing it would be such a disaster, you've got the fence on that side.
            I'd be inclined to simply extend the side of the link nearest the tree upwards to shed-roof height, put a matching fence from the other end of the shed, increase height of existing run, and there you go, or is there some other reason you need access to the shed without going into the run?
            The other option, of extending the run around the tree, if you strap the sub-trunks together at about run-roof height, and use a flexible mesh for the roof, it should work OK. Stuff sold for fruit cages ought to be workable. Make the sides pretty strong, but the roof is less critical, Foxy won't try to chew his way in that way!
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I don't know what tree it is - it's nothing special to us. It provides mottled shade in our back garden which is nice - our back garden is higher than the side garden. On the right side of the photo - you can just see the end of a roll of weed fabric - that's the hieght of the garden, but our decking is probably a foot or so higher - so without the three when you're on the decking you'd be all open. I will probably get rid of it yes.

Reason I've not done as you've suggested (which is a good idea) - I had a similar one but not the same, is access to the back garden, via the whole in the wall that I've knocked - it'd be awkward to kind of snake around it if it went to the where the coop/shed door is. It'd probably be easier to see from top down.

Where the door is of the run (left hand side past the fence) I may extend it a couple of metres that way for the time being to give them a bit more room until we make a proper one.

Not sure - loads to do in the garden!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X