Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

How long will my Warran live, she hasent layed all summer?

How long is a piece of string?

How old is she?
    Has she been broody?
    Has she moulted?
    Is she off colour?
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

She is about 3 I think not molting or broody and very well.

Comment

Could she be overweight? What do you feed her, when, and how much? Is she on her own, ie lonely? Is she being bullied, does she have parasites?

Like I said, how long is a piece of string?

Have a look through the Rule the Roost section, you'll find loads of info.
        Last edited by Glutton4...; 14-10-2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

no not overweight I feed her half a cup of layers pelets a day and a few kitchen scraps in the morning.
          No she is not lonely she has a mate that she shares a coop with and if anything she is the bully.
          No parasites as far as I can tell
          Will have a look ta.

Comment

I am concerned that she may not be eating enough, what size is the cup that you are measuring the food with, we do not limit their food in any way.
            We have had commercial layers still laying at 7 years old but we feed ad lib mash, and no scraps at all only a small handful of mixed corn as late in the afternoon as you manage but still allowing them time to eat it before the light fails.
            If you are looking for redmite they will not be on the bird during the day, they live in the house so check the birds at night, or any crevices that the might will hide in the day.

Comment

I'm with MotherHen there; Ad-lib Pellets or mash all day, and just a handfull of treats (scraps/corn) before bedtime. That way they fill up on the proper nutrients.

Remember, Chooks are like Kids, they'll eat the treats first given the chance!

Comment

ok will try more food but she was laying every day before the summer on the same feeding routine.Do you think she will lay again after all this time?

Comment

I'm no expert but I would have thought if she hasn't laid all summer she's not going to. My Warrens are ex-batts so not the longest living but I have found that once mine stopped laying they don't start up again and usually die within the year. I do have one left from my first rescue however that is about 5 years old and still lays most days. It's really hard to say how long they will live as there's so many factors to take into account.

Comment

Not laying in summer tends to mean a problem of some kind (potential problems include overweight, but not very likely on the feedign regime you describe) but if she went off lay when we had the hot dry spell, it may simply be that she will start again after midwinter. Was she short of water for a short while back then? It can take a long time to recover from that.
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

\she has started to moult,I wonder what will happen next.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X